Need Help Identifying Three Fossils.

subetha73

Hi everyone! Thanks ahead of time for your help.

I found these three specimens in the same area in a field on our farm in Southwestern Kankakee County, Illinois.

I think the geologic area is called the Kankakee River Basin, which consists of "a mantle of glacial deposits overlying Paleozoic bedrock".

The first one is the size of a grapefruit, and my guess is a sea sponge, coral, or some type of marine life.

The second one is 3" x 2" and 1/2" thick. My layman's guess would be bark, compacted grasses, or bone.

The third one is 1" tall, 1/2" thick, and is a cylinder shape with a flared base. I provided 2 views of this one. Base of an antler?

Thanks for helping me solve the mystery!

post-16581-0-76952900-1411947574_thumb.jpg

post-16581-0-95312600-1411947579_thumb.gif

post-16581-0-56491800-1411947591_thumb.jpg

post-16581-0-16291300-1411947595_thumb.jpg

The first one looks like a favosite coral.

http://www.google.com/images?q=favosite+coral&btnG=Search&hl=en&gbv=1&nfpr=&spell=1

Second on, no idea. But you shouldn't use .gif file format for photos, it does a bad job for photos.

The third (and fourth) look like some type of coral, also, but I've never seen one like that. Looks like a cob of corn. :)

Thanks, tmaier and JimB88! Imagine if I'd found these 20 years ago, it would have taken so much time and effort to identify them. But in 2014... 2 for 3 in less than 2 hours. Love it! :)

Ah, yes, I can see that it is rugose coral now. I don't remember seeing it that way before.

And yes, ID is much easier with all the people of the internet in a forum now. Back in my time, pre-internet, it would take me weeks or sometimes years to finally bump into the right classification. When the web was young, I was one of the first to put up a site with common fossils on it, so people would have an on-line resource. People didn't know how to react to that back then and I would get some odd emails that told me people were "stealing" my images. My standard reply was that you can't steal things that are offered for free. :D The concept of free-and-open was pretty new and confusing back then.

Ah, yes, I can see that it is rugose coral now. I don't remember seeing it that way before.

Its what they look like with the outer septum worn away, exposing the ends of the dissepiment.

colonial coral , possible trace fossil, last 2 partial rugose corals.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Archived