Has My Mioplosus Fish Been Painted?

aplomado

Hello,

I'm a lurker, here's my first post. I just bought a green river Mioplosus fish. The seller didn't know if it had been touched up or not, so I'd like your opinions. I like it either way, but I'd like to know for sure. When I got it, I saw tiny teeth in the mouth; I'm hoping they just weren't painted in!

It's 5.5 inches long.

And if any of you can recommend a stand for the slab (8.5" long x 7" tall x 0.75" thick) I would appreciate it too...

What do you all think?

whole_zpsca85eaca.jpg

e6377158-e1eb-43a7-be4a-bd84fea56578_zps

middle_zps5b4a668d.jpg

tail_zps6fc5bc91.jpg

Edited by aplomado

Looks like the outer tips of the tail and dorsal fins have been touched up. As far as the teeth cannot tell need a closer image, macro shot. However the upper teeth look like they have some relief so they can be real.

If this fish was enhanced for display, it was beautifully done, with great skill and restraint.

In your (very good) images, I see nothing that detracts from the fossil.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Rather than a stand, you should consider a shadow box wall display. The fossil might fall off the stand and onto the floor, and this type of fossil really hates that. :D Also, it will attract dust. In a shadow box on the wall the fossil can be a eye height, it is safe from being broken, and will get less dust, especially if you use non-glare glass.

Edit:

By the way, that's a really nice one. It shows the scales and a lot of good detail. It's a wall hanger fer-sure.

Edited by tmaier

It may have a clear acrylic on it to protect the bones and scales or it may have been dipped (mixture of Elmers and water) for the same reason. There is still a lot of matrix on the backbone and around the head. Other than that, nice catch.

Jim

Edited by old dead things

I don't believe it is painted. Look at it with a 10X loupe. You will be able to detect any enhancement. The teeth are legit - check them with a loupe. I believe you will find they are 3-D, not flat paint. Here is a quick snap I took of a 10" Mio I prepped some time ago. Note the orange hued carbon stain. It's not paint, just fish reduced to its lowest common denominator and a little mineral color thrown in. For display I use cheap plastic easels available at Michaels or any crafts store. Of course my fish are in cabinets, so getting knocked over is not a risk. Enjoy your fish it's a nice one.

post-8873-0-38238700-1412027261_thumb.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Example of shadow box display of plio-pleistocene gastropods...

post-16101-0-54827200-1412027958_thumb.jpg

What would be cool is to add a proximity sensor so that when people walk up some LED lights come on to illuminate the display.

Also room to add labels for classification, location, other info. If you wanted to really get fancy, you could go to a person who makes bronze engraved plaques and have them make the label in bronze.