Repair Megalodon Tooth

Pterosaur

Hi everyone,

I would like to learn how to repair a 6' megalodon tooth I have in my possession. About 40% is missing, but the remaining tooth is not half bad. I do not know where to start as far as tools and materials go. I am an experienced painter and sculptor so hopefully that comes in handy? Also, I recently repaired a shattered triceratops rib, so I have a tiny bit of experience with fossil repair. Although, I am sure that shark teeth are entirely different.

So....does anyone have any experience with repairing fossil meg teeth? Is it a complex process? What tools and materials do I need? I would really like to do this. I've heard it takes practice and experience, but I think it would be an interesting challenge.

Thanks so much!

Lauren

Sorry in advance for the lousy picture(s)...

post-15415-0-36360000-1412052180_thumb.png

"I am a part of all that I have met." - Lord Alfred Tennyson

I agree, Matty is the BEST in the business at repair/restoration of sharks teeth. Not sure how much detail of his craft/artistry he would want to share since it's part of his business, but he would be the person to learn from. Maybe at very least he could tell you want materials and tools to use. Good luck. Please share pictures the final product if you do the restoration.

Thank you, for the info! I believe I seen Matty on Ebay, and his work is outstanding.

JPC: Yes, I am looking to reconstruct the missing parts if possible.

Too bad we don't have Meg and other large fossils like that in the Houston area (I am from there too). About the best I get are smaller sharks teeth on the crystal beach side of the ferry.

The restoration of this tooth would truly require major reconstruction! Unless there is some strong personal attachment to this tooth you should consider the repair cost against the purchase of another meg tooth. It is possible to buy some decent megs of less than perfect condition for not a great amount of $$. Just another option to possibly consider.

I think Aerodactyl wants to undertake this as a personal project and learning exercise, rather than just for the sake of the specimen. I myself would like to know how she does it, and how it turns out. :)

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think Aerodactyl wants to undertake this as a personal project and learning exercise, rather than just for the sake of the specimen. I myself would like to know how she does it, and how it turns out. :)

In that case I hope the venture goes well and will look forward to the repaired meg.

Get some Magic Scupt or Apoxie Sculpt. Both are 2 part epoxy clays that have around a 4 hour working time and can be worked like natural clay before they set. They can be easily tooled and smoothed with water. Go slow. When I am rebuilding major components of a fossil, I have found it is a whole lot easier the add more product than it is to remove excess when it is set.

Once you get the general shape you want, you can sand or carve the epoxy clay products to finish and then paint. Good luck.

Thank you very much, Kris!!! You have given me the information I was looking for.

Auspex, you hit the nail on the head. I will certainly post the finished product. :)

We wait with baited breath (not sure where that term originated) and wish you good luck with the venture.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

We wait with baited breath (not sure where that term originated)...

It's "bated", poetically shortened from "abated". :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

OK, thanks for the clarification Chas. I figured it had something to do with an animal keeping it's mouth open (with baited breath) waiting to lure smaller prey in close until it could snap at it. Hence, waiting with baited breath. Alright, I guess I'll accept your definition.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Aerodactyl, I admire your desire to restore your 6" Meg by yourself. Since this appears to be your venture foray into restoring.repairing fossil shark teeth, I would strongly recommend that you "practice" first on a different broken shark tooth that you don't care about. If you don't have one, I'm sure you can pic up a tooth or two from eBay or ask one of the kind members here who prolly have lots of broken teeth.

I too once shared the strong desire to restore my own shark teeth, then embarked on the process very carefully, only to never finish because I messed up along the way. Fortunately, I didn't start out on one of my prized teeth; those I have sent off to Matty - he's one of the best at it.

Perhaps you can post a pic of your tooth as it is right now.

Daryl.

Hey Daryl! I have posted pics of the 6' tooth I speak of in my original question. They aren't of great quality, but you can see what I'm working with. I like your idea of starting with a tooth of less value. I have no such tooth at the moment, but if there are members with broken Meg teeth that they don't care about I'll gladly take them for practice. I should probably post pictures of the triceratops rib I restored a few months ago, so that people have some faith in me haha. Will do that shortly. Anyway, I have not yet heard back from Matty, but I will start on my project within his week, regardless. I will keep everyone posted on my progress (good or bad!) :)

Thank you again.

• 1 year later...

I've tried to find Matts website, links are all dead end. Anyone know his exact URL? I have a couple Megalodon teeth I'd like estimates on, or try repairing myself ( the preferred method) Thanks in advance!

Edited by kkl1961

• 10 months later...
3 hours ago, Therizinosaurus said:

So, Matty is the best in the business but all the URLs are dead ends?

I messaged him on EBay and he was really nice. However, he didn't respond when I asked how he did it... lol

I actually did repair the tooth in this post though and the project was really successful. If you need advice I'm more than happy. Check out my follow-up post as a starting point. :)