Temporary Carcharocles Megalodon Exhibit At The Flmnh

siteseer

I was in Florida on business last week and visited the Florida Museum of Natural History over the weekend. Museum workers were setting up an exhibit starring the big shark. You could see the first and last part of the exhibit from the hall. I was told there was a megalodon exhibit in 2008 or 2009. I missed that one and maybe this one too as it opens next weekend (October 4) and runs until early January. The good news is that the museum store was already selling souvenirs for the show. I bought some t-shirts for the family and a few refrigerator magnets. They were giving out bookmarks and card-like flyers for free. Here's a link to the museum announcement:

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/exhibits/coming-soon/megalodon/

Some fossils from Panama, including megalodon teeth, were already on display in the hall but that is also a temporary exhibit.

It's a great museum overall. I visit it whenever I'm in the area.

I don't know if they still have it on display, but they have a replica jaw filled with real teeth. I showed this before, but I can't resist the chance to embarrass my son whenever I get a chance. Here's a photo of him when he was about 4, and suddenly he had to go to the bathroom. :D

post-16101-0-57400400-1412127378_thumb.jpg

He's 6'4" now, and 19 years old, so you can tell this was in ancient times.