Little Smoky River, Alberta Baculite Stack

JustPlainPetrified

I had to be careful cleaning this one up as it wanted to just turn to powder. It is about as good as it is going to get. Hopefully all the angles I shot it at will show the layering of these baculites.

post-7201-0-87893000-1412218194_thumb.jpg

post-7201-0-65670500-1412218211_thumb.jpg

post-7201-0-66186300-1412218236_thumb.jpg

post-7201-0-65596900-1412218255_thumb.jpg

They certainly got winnowed together into that position; very neat!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm intrigued with the # of and the parallel orientation of the shells. What kind of rock matrix is that--looks very fine grained? Is that a concretion?

Regards, Chris

I'm intrigued with the # of and the parallel orientation of the shells. What kind of rock matrix is that--looks very fine grained? Is that a concretion?

Regards, Chris

Hi Chris, the baculites are found in a very fine siltstone. Every year this area of the river floods and more silt is eroded to expose the baculites. They are not, in this case, found in a concretion, but there are many concretions along the bank that they are found in. Often they are just found resting in pieces below the fractured clay/shale bank waiting to be taken up by the river, or in this case...us.

Grant

post-7201-0-65588700-1412395163_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris, the baculites are found in a very fine siltstone. Every year this area of the river floods and more silt is eroded to expose the baculites. They are not, in this case, found in a concretion, but there are many concretions along the bank that they are found in. Often they are just found resting in pieces below the fractured clay/shale bank waiting to be taken up by the river, or in this case...us.

Grant

Hey Grant, thanks for answering my question. Nice location shot! I was out hunting tonight and we sure dont have any of that kind of color down here quite yet! Nothing spectacular like you all have. Did see some high 40's and low 50 degree temps in the Tampa Bay area overnite as a "cold" front passed. A tad bit cooler up there I know! Regards, Chris

Archived