My Sketch Thread

Koss1959

Foam sculpting isn't working too well for me. That staff's hard, man!

I've been toying with the idea of sketching and drawing for a while and the girlfriend surprised me by buying me a nice sketch pad and pencils. I spent around two hours on this this afternoon. I'm fairly pleased with it. My favourite part is the paddles. Particularly the shading, and which is usually my weak point. I'm happy with the proportions as well. The only part I'm not 100% on is the jaws, but they are OK.

Any proper artists wanna offer some advice/ constructive criticism? (yeah, I hate that term too...)

Anyone wanna compliment me by guessing the species?

I'm gonna update this thread every once in a while with some new stuff.

IMAG0041.jpg

Nannopterygius?

Sorry, not up on the ichthyosaurs.

Very cool sketch, Koss! :wub:

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thats really nice. The only thing I would comment on really is that it would probably look better if you made a scan of the drawing instead of photographing it.

A stab in the dark, but, Platypterygius?

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thanks.

I generally use a tablet, so setting up my laptop then getting the scanner out is a PITA.

It is an Ichthyosaurus Leptonectes. Just realised, it's likely to be a juvenile, so that'll make it a lot harder to guess. Based off of this image:

8578527.jpg

Here's a Tyrannosaurus Rex I did today. Bought some really nice pencils, some nice charcoal pencils and a blending stick. I spent a lot more time on this than I did the Ichthyosaur. The lower jaw bugs me and the scales. There needs to be a lot more scales and every single one needs shading. That's quite a huge task. The lower jaw looks too large. I gotta work on making it look 3D too. I'm still learning shading. Tell me what you think. Thanks.

IMAG0042.jpg

I agree that the lower jaw looks a little big. Other than that it looks pretty nice.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thank you! I have only been drawing since I started this thread, but I feel every drawing I do is much better than the last. I'm currently trying to work on perspective so that is making proportions harder but I will definitely take your advice, thanks!

Your link doesn't work, by the way

...Your link doesn't work, by the way

Try this link -

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Here's my latest one I just finished. Shame I can't scan it.

IMAG0057.jpg

Four of my favourite dinosaurs. Tried to be a bit more original with my choices. Top row we have Parasaurolophus Walkeri and Baryonyx Walkeri. Bottom row we have Styracosaurus Albertensis and Masiakasaurus (yeah, me neither!) Knopfleri.

The tea staining didn't come out as well as I'd hoped. I did it first before I drew anything. But as I went on, you make mistakes and need to rub stuff out. Apparently rubbers can rub tea stains off too. So I had to stain it again after it was complete.

I spent around six or seven hours on this.

Really cool post, you can see your drawings improving with every post.

I think they are great!

Keep at it and you will be an expert in no time.

I think I like the last drawing the best and the tea staining is neat, have you tried adding scales to the heads?

• 4 months later...

Looks great!

If you really want something to pop out, use a lot of low lights and highlights. Also using a blending stick helps soften things up. And using an eraser just like using your pencil works wonders.

And practice is your best tool.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Thanks. I've been trying to make the darker values darker and the lighter values lighter, it seems to help the picture stand out more. I use blenders quite a lot, however, I was quite restrained with using them in the plesi skull as I wanted a rough texture to it, something I need to work on. I'm still on my first sketch book too. I only started drawing in the October just gone so I didn't know much about paper quality and subsequently bought a cheap sketch pad. Hopefully by the time I fill the sketch book, I would have improved significantly and would be able to put a decent sketch book to good use.

Impressive stuff Koss!

How about a Jurassic underwater scene showing the various Lyme Regis/Charmouth fauna in life? Just an idea.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Impressive stuff Koss!

How about a Jurassic underwater scene showing the various Lyme Regis/Charmouth fauna in life? Just an idea.

Thanks very much.

It is something I would like to do, however I need to work on a number of things first before I can do a job I'd be happy with. I need to work on perspective, light reflections and texture among other things. I also need to put more time into my drawings. I usually only spend around five hours on them, I think I need to slow down and work on detail.

Archived