My Sketch Thread

Koss1959

Ok, as a former art student (for real, I went to Ringling College of Art), I have a few exercises that will change your life. I couldn't draw a stick figure to save my life on my first day (photography major) but by the end of my first year I was drawing 3 hour figure studies with the rest of them just based on these exercises. I'd post examples except everything I have is from nude figure studies class and I'm sure that isn't allowed on here, but I'll see what I can dig up.

1) Draw something, doesn't have to be major, but do not use a single line. Make your "lines" by shading only, not even blending. Very few things around you are made up of lines so this will change how you see and how you draw. You aren't trying to draw something really involved, just draw a leaf or your own feet or something simple.

2) Draw only in highlights in white on a dark piece of paper using what you have learned from #1 but adding in a few lines as necessary.

3) Erasure drawing. Color an entire sheet of paper with the flat side of a charcoal or pastel stick. Use a kneaded eraser to erase out your lighter areas (only a kneaded eraser will work unless you want to get really frustrated). You can use charcoal to add more shadows and add highlights with pastels/white charcoal. For some reason, these types of drawings on regular newspaper have become insanely popular on Pinterest.

4) Draw on a midtone piece of paper using everything you've learned from #1-3, except you don't necessarily have to color the entire paper and erase out if you don't want to. If you don't have midtone paper, try staining paper you already have (which I see you've done). Coffee makes an excellent stain.

You're already insanely talented, you just need to work on some techniques. There is no way I could draw some of the things you've drawn. Animals are really hard.

Thank you for the compliments and advice, I really appreciate it. If you like, you can pm me some of your drawings, I like to see them. Lately, I'm moving away from drawing prehistoric life and more to portraits. I do pretty much everything you advised every time I draw. My portraits are much better than what is here in this thread.

Hi there, fellow artist. I suggest you to read Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards and The Practice and Science of Drawing by Harold Speed. You should also definitely take a look at this page, which includes tons of resources: http://irishopp.hubpages.com/hub/how-to-draw-learn. Art takes A LOT of studying, just like anything else.

It would be hard giving specific critique, because to be completely honest, you are pretty much on the beginner level and you need to learn being more self-critical. You need to learn a lot about fundamentals before being able to practice realism without accurate references. I hope I'm not too harsh, but I just want to help you. Constructive criticism might be shocking and unpleasant, but in the long run, it's extremely beneficial to your artistic development and you just need to develop a thick skin in this field. If you need any more help or honest opinions, don't hesitate to ask! :)

I bought some kraft paper yesterday and wanted to do a realistic drawing of a T Rex skull. I got the shape down then started shading in graphite. After a while I felt I had been doing it horribly wrong. I rubbed the graphite out and started again. It came out in this style almost accidentally. I absolutely love it. Out of all my drawings, this is the only one I'd genuinely call art. I feel as though I've found a style that suits me. It's opened so many doors and possibilities. I've scrapped trying to do realistic.

It looks great from a distance. I couldn't be happier.

rex.jpeg

I like your color combinations. Looks good. Keep it up!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Thank you. Here's another. I'm really loving the freedom this style gives me. I changed the boarder on this and prefer it. This looks much more 3D and the curves show up well. These are definitely pictures to view from a distance. Hope you like it!

FB_IMG_1427474786840.jpg

Thanks guys. I'm dead proud of the trike. It's crazy how much I've improved. This thread was started in October just gone and before that I had never drawn before. I gotta thank you personally, Lord trilobite. It was your foam carving that got me interested in paleoart. This last month, I have done nothing but art. I haven't even gone fossiling! So thanks bud, you properly inspired me.

A friend has just asked me to design an ammonite tattoo for him and that's made me want to do an ammonite drawing like these, so watch this space!

Edited by Koss1959

That's very kind of you to say. So, thank you.

I'm interested to see what more you come up with. Keep at it, you keep getting better and better.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite