Sorting Spring Fossil Finds

Shellseeker

I was taking shortcuts while fossil hunting last spring. Take the best finds and throw the ziploc bags with the rest of the finds on the side porch table. As my spouse points out, sometime you have to pay the piper..

Even though I enjoy "re-finding", it is hard to be enthuiastic when the pile is deep. However, given that my spots at Zolfo are 14 feet deep, I have been doing a lot of sorting -- by the way , I plan to donate most to a friend sponsoring the National Fossil Day at Bradenton this coming Saturday.

During the sort, I find fossils that I need help identifying:

1st up Photo #1 -- I find a lot of barracuda, but not like these -- some sort of 1 inch long fish teeth relatively rare in the Peace. Identified as Sawfish Rostral teeth.

post-2220-0-05029400-1412279243_thumb.jpg

Next Photos 2a and 2b. I tossed these in with my deer antler, but I think that is wrong -- concentric circles like tusk,

post-2220-0-98126800-1412279423_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-36106400-1412279489_thumb.jpg

Next -- a couple of toe bones photos 3a and 3b Left Equus Medial Phalanx

post-2220-0-17689600-1412279559_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-76731000-1412279589_thumb.jpg

and possibly a scull cap photos 4a and 4b

post-2220-0-77093500-1412279708_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-94576000-1412279738_thumb.jpg

and finally, a couple of verts 5a and 5b Right vert IDed as WhiteTail Deer Vertebra

post-2220-0-14844600-1412279855_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-98084900-1412279910_thumb.jpg

WHEW!!! just barely fitted all that .... Thanks for any/all help in the IDs SS

Edited by Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Interesting finds. You first photo show sawfish rostral teeth. I might be able to narrow down the identification with a view of the end.

The two medial phalanxes are perisodactyl. The larger looks like Equus and the smaller could be Tapirus, or perhaps one of the Mio/Plio horses.

The lighter colored vertebra looks like Odocoileus, maybe a thoracic vertebra.

The rest of your finds I don't feel comfortable trying to ID. Hope this helps.

Edited by calhounensis

Thanks Calhounensis for the IDs -- deer and horse make a sense. There are a lot of them in the Peace.

Al Dente, here is another view of the Sawfish teeth -- Can not see much but maybe you will be able to decipher. Jack

post-2220-0-65301300-1412300642_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks for the additional photos. I think these are Anoxypristis because of the flattened oval cross section and lack of a large groove along one edge that Pristis have. Another option is Propristis but they are usually short compared with their width.

Hey Jack, got nothing to offer in the way of IDs...but was just enjoying seeing the variety of finds. I see/now know that in my earlier trips out here that I chucked away some rostral teeth! Oh well. I should go thru some of my old dont throw out just yet piles to see if anything pops out. Regards, Chris

Thanks for the additional photos. I think these are Anoxypristis because of the flattened oval cross section and lack of a large groove along one edge that Pristis have. Another option is Propristis but they are usually short compared with their width.

Eric

I definitely agree that the specimens look like Anoxypristis based upon the base view picture. Have you ever found a Propristis at a US site? I know they are described from the US from multiple sites in multiple papers.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Eric

I definitely agree that the specimens look like Anoxypristis based upon the base view picture. Have you ever found a Propristis at a US site? I know they are described from the US from multiple sites in multiple papers.

Marco Sr.

I've never found one.

4 looks like part of a vertebra

RIch, another view to show the underslung "wings". I also wonder if it comes from the pelvic region of a small mammal.

Plantguy, I keep almost everything -- even stuff that may not be fossil -- glass, marbles, rock, shell, etc, etc TFF is a good resource to expand my knowledge of what exists in the Peace River. SAVE those Sawfish teeth!

post-2220-0-87207400-1412390166_thumb.jpg

Rich, should have listened. Went to National Fossil Day event today. talking to various experts including Richard Hulbert.

He identification is P. Harlani process vertebra. I have not found a another photo on the net.

He also identified the smaller medium phalanx are belonging to a 3-toed horse.

It was a good day for identifications. SS

It's good to hear some confirmation on that other medial phalanx. I was stuck between 'three-toed' and tapir.

Sloth is great for that other bone, sloth are hard to come by.

Very nice Jack, Sloth is on my list that has eluded me thus far :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Sloth is always a great thrill. I have had some seasons (2012-2013) when I found a lot of sloth fossils in different locations, but mostly very few normally. Here are a couple of my best:

April 11, 2013

post-2220-0-37459000-1412619710_thumb.jpg

November 8th, 2012

post-2220-0-37513900-1412620096_thumb.jpg

The Peace River can be amazing and abundant in gifts. I am thankful to be within driving distance. SS

WOW Jack! The tooth is awesome but that claw core takes the cake, congrats! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Well, dang that Sloth stuff aint too shabby Jack! And to think I get excited now when I find a complete horse tooth! I got to find my "A" game! I'm way behind you guys. LOL. Regards, Chris

Another reason that I love this forum:

One of my fossils above was IDed as Sloth Vert:

post-2220-0-55099900-1412954170_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-44562600-1412954195_thumb.jpg

TFF member Hoffy saw my post and remembered a Sloth Vert he had found:

post-2220-0-58024500-1412954261_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-17053900-1412954279_thumb.jpg

Now THAT is a beautiful bone!!! Thanks Hoffy!! It is supposed to be called a "Chevron" and part of the connection to the tail..

So, I am reaching out to Harry, Rich, and Nate hoping one of them can id the actual Sloth type from this much better set of photos -- The piece I found in the Peace River seems to be less than half of a complete vert and from a somewhat smaller animal. So , is this Megalonyx or P. Harlani or something else?

Thanks Shellseeker.