Laws Of Fossil Hunting In Italy

frankh8147

Next week, I will be going on my honeymoon in Italy. I had a few questions about the laws of fossil collecting I Italy (I heard they were stringent). My question is, if I am walking around and find a fossil, are there actually laws preventing me from collecting it? I would greatly appreciate any clarification. Also, if it is permitted here, are there any good areas to check out (if it isn't legal there, obviously disregard my second question)? Thanks!

Well, it's a confusing situation. If you reside in Italy, it is illegal to own Italian fossils. What this might mean beyond that is pretty murky. I would not take any chances.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Italy draws no distinction between the theft of artifacts, fossils, paintings or grave robbing. All are held as cultural treasures and they have a task force that is quite intent on protecting these interests. I would not want to find out first-hand about the punishment. Talk about ruining your vacation. No thanks!

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Whoa, thanks for the heads' up! Maybe not ideal for me but my fiancé will be glad to know that she won't be digging in any streams or anything like that! Thanks again!

Avoid fossiling in Italy. A pair of Italians we all know form this forum collect fossils, but not in Italy where they live. They collect in other European countries and in the US. Enjoy the museums, history, food, architecture, etc and of course the new wife while over there.

Edited by jpc