haleyrenee3

Hello everyone, I am on vacation in the North Carolina beaches

and i was strolling the beach at about 330 pm at low tide and i found this huge meg tooth

about 5 inches long and it was nearly perfect, i was so elated i literally almost cried when i saw it laying there in about 6 inches of water..

anyways my question is if this is a rare thing to find on the shore, or is it a common occurrence? I appreciate any feedback!

(btw, no i did not purchase this tooth!!! i do not[attachment purchase teeth, i would not be wasting my time on this post right now!!)

post-13475-0-85793400-1412295071_thumb.jpg

hopefully the pic shows up. if it does not please let me know!!

Zounds! You know many people have spent years looking for one that nice, and you find one the first try out?

Yes, a big, complete Meg is a very rare beach find!

Great Googly Moogly!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This definitely isnt my first try hunting for megs! i try to find megs in quarries and creeks and anytime im at a beach. i am obsessed with shark teeth (especially meg teeth) I just usually find fragments of megs or baby megs on the shores, never did I ever expect to find this treasure. it definitely is crazy and feels like it's too good to be true!!!

That is a singular occurrence. I have never seen a tooth that size beach collected. Congratulations, enjoy your find and the rest of your vacation.

I just viewed the blow up of your pic. It's very nice. It does show ocean exposure - boring in the root, serrations rounded away. I wonder if a clumsy diver dropped it on the beach? It doesn't show the coloration of the SC teeth I am familiar with, being a light colored blade.

If I found it in the surf, I would be very excited. About 2" is the largest I've ever encountered on the beach. Again, congrats.

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I found a broken 4" meg at Venice Beach, FL. I had just walked onto the beach and there were some people playing volley ball. One of them picked up a black object and threw it out of the playing field, right in front of me. It was a meg tooth that somebody had tripped over. :D

Oh darn, I must have dropped it out on my collection bag...just PM me and I'll give you my address to send it back to me.

Wow, I certainly would have been walking on that water if I found one of those just wading in the surf. A big hardy congrates to you!

Dorensigbadges.JPG