fossilized6s

I and other members will be heading to Fossil Rock campground to hunt pit 2 on Sunday October 19th 2014. Hopefully the weather will corporate and we can get our buckets filled! Come and join us. It doesn't matter if you've never done it before, i will be happy to teach you what to look for and how to be successful in your 300mya scavenger hunt.

We will meet at the Shell gas station in Coal City @ 8-8:30am. It's just west of rt.55 on 113. Hopefully this link will help http://goo.gl/maps/z6m7q

Supplies you need and may want.

-shovel, pickaxe, rockhammer (basically a good and sturdy digging device). We will be digging through hard shale.

-a pair of gloves to keep from collecting blisters

-a pair of extra clothes and boots/shoes definitely helps on the ride home.

-a bucket, backpack, rock bag (anything that will handle about 5lbs-50lbs worth of rocks)

-water is a must, water, water, water

-snacks and food is up to you

-hiking boots, old pair of shoes, etc. They will get dirty.

-i would say bug spray, but being so late in the year hopefully they won't be too crazy.

-also it's $5 a person to dig at the campground.

This pit is great for very well preserved plants, wood, insects and horseshoe crabs. I have found some awesomely preserved stuff there. These are some of the hardest nodules you will collect anywhere in the Mazon Creek area, and sometimes they take over 30+ freeze/thaw cycles to pop.

As i stated above, we WILL be digging, so eat your Wheaties. You can hike around and try and surface collect, but since the spoil piles aren't that tall it may be a waste of time.

Here's a live weather link to check the weather for that day. http://m.accuweather.com/en/us/coal-city-il/60416/weather-forecast/332818

Hope to see you there!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Hello. I might be able to join you. Sounds like fun. I haven't fully done the Pit 2 experience yet.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Cool! I just hope it's not cold and rainy.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

St.Paul was AMAZING...

I'll clean the trilobites the wife found and the huge cephalopod...and post the photos later tonight

.....and you can expect us @ the dig

Paul

...I'm back.

Paul,

I look forward to seeing what you found at St. Paul. For a couple years, I've thought about joining the ESCONI St. Paul trip but it hasn't worked out for my schedule yet.

-Paul

Huh, i really thought that there would be more interest......

~Charlie~

I am interested. I live in St Louis and might get there Saturday, a day before you do. I've been to pit 11, but not pit 2. Would you be willing to message me the location of pit 2? You said Fossil Rock Campground.... http://www.fossilrockrecreationarea.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fossil-Rock-Campgrounds-Wilmington-Illinois/244353228920312

This what you're talking about?

Yes sir! They have the old coal spoil piles in the back of the campground. If you ask for Wayne, he'll give you the layout.

The office doesn't open until 9am i believe, but don't quote me on that.

~Charlie~

If I go, it would have to be Saturday instead of Sunday. I have a Cub Scout activity on Sunday.

By the way, Charlie, do you just pick a higher area and start digging. Or is there something specific one should look for?

If I go, it would have to be Saturday instead of Sunday. I have a Cub Scout activity on Sunday.

By the way, Charlie, do you just pick a higher area and start digging. Or is there something specific one should look for?

Haha, i have a cub scout trip Saturday....

You mainly have to dig down about a foot deep and look for gray shale layers. If you hit sand or the shale layers become erratic and not layered, you should move. I know of two spots where horseshoe crabs were found, so i mainly stick around those piles (because i have yet to find one). But the whole south end of the campground is filled with piles.

~Charlie~

Dang, I wish there was some quick, easy, low cost way to get up there again. Maybe some day! We'd made the trek up to Chicago and back several months ago and it killed me not be able to get out and do some hunting--just didnt have the time We unfortunately didnt stop for rocks or fossils once... thanks for the offer! Regards, Chris

TNgray, Chris, Jeff and whomever this may concern, if you guys find your way up/over/down here don't hesitate to PM me about a hunt.

~Pit 2 is open all year (digging allowed)

~Pit 11 is open from March 1st-Sept 30th (NO digging)

~Charlie~

Thanks Charlie, and the same goes for you as well. I'm dying to get into the creeks here. Hopefully the rain will let up here soon, otherwise it may be a late start to our dry season

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Just a reminder. It's this Sunday, and the weather is supposed to be perfect!! Nudge nudge....

~Charlie~

I reckon I'll come out and dig up a few more nods. One can never have enough, ya know. :D

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Do you mind if I possibly join in? I have never been to pit 2, only pit 11.

I might not be able to get out there this Sunday, but I'm going to try.

Not at all. That's why i posted it.

Hope we see you Sunday!

~Charlie~

And im off! Today smells like a good day! Haha

~Charlie~

Already here...slacker!!

Lol

Are you at the campground?

~Charlie~

Archived