fossilized6s

It was nice to meet everyone today. Thanks for coming out!

When the last swing of the rock hammer fell i collected almost a full bucket. And it's the best material by far that I've collected from there! Im pumped! Haha

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Can't wait to see your finds posted...

Im going to post pics after a few open. So it may be a week or two. But i dug up about two dozen nodules that look like complete fern specimens. I can't wait for them to crack!

Wish I could have made it.... Been so busy lately.

I'll have to make it out there again before the ground freezes.

I totally understand Joey. Im not sure if I'll go back this season. Id love to, but finding time before 'Old Man Winter' hits may prove to be very difficult.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Im going to post pics after a few open. So it may be a week or two. But i dug up about two dozen nodules that look like complete fern specimens. I can't wait for them to crack!

I totally understand Joey. Im not sure if I'll go back this season. Id love to, but finding time before 'Old Man Winter' hits may prove to be very difficult.

Looking forward to seeing some coolness! Sorry we weren't able to get up that way and I had to go shoveling with the Tampa club in a creek down here to help get over it. It did help! Keep us posted. Regards, Chris

Regards, Chris

When the last swing of the rock hammer fell i collected almost a full bucket. And it's the best material by far that I've collected from there! Im pumped! Haha

Given your track record with nodules, we all wait with bated breath. Show us some good stuff.

Couldn't let you all hog all the fun up in Illinois so I found a place to hunt some shark teeth on land while waiting for the rivers to work their way down to a fossil hunting level. As a special bonus we saw several endangered Gopher Tortoise (one which walked right by us--within a few feet while we were digging and dry sifting). No great prizes but some interesting grays and caramel colors which provided a welcome color palette shift from the grayscale monotones of the ones we pry from the Peace River.

Looking forward to seeing some nice whole fern nodules or maybe mating Tully Monsters (you have set the bar really high you know and now you'll have to work to top yourself).

I've a plastic box of nodules I thawed out a few days ago sitting outside my garage but I've been too busy with things to have a look at them before they pop back in the freeze for another round of freeze/thaw.

Cheers.

-Ken

Looking forward to seeing some coolness! Sorry we weren't able to get up that way and I had to go shoveling with the Tampa club in a creek down here to help get over it. It did help! Keep us posted. Regards, Chris

Regards, Chris

I think digging in Florida almost anywhere would distract me. Haha! I wish i could afford to go down this season to hunt the Peace, it's been awhile....two years too long.

I'm thinking about setting up a dig for next year at Mazon so people can plan well in advance for it.

Good luck hunting!

Given your track record with nodules, we all wait with bated breath. Show us some good stuff.

Couldn't let you all hog all the fun up in Illinois so I found a place to hunt some shark teeth on land while waiting for the rivers to work their way down to a fossil hunting level. As a special bonus we saw several endangered Gopher Tortoise (one which walked right by us--within a few feet while we were digging and dry sifting). No great prizes but some interesting grays and caramel colors which provided a welcome color palette shift from the grayscale monotones of the ones we pry from the Peace River.

Looking forward to seeing some nice whole fern nodules or maybe mating Tully Monsters (you have set the bar really high you know and now you'll have to work to top yourself).

I've a plastic box of nodules I thawed out a few days ago sitting outside my garage but I've been too busy with things to have a look at them before they pop back in the freeze for another round of freeze/thaw.

Cheers.

-Ken

Lol, well i sure hope the bar isn't set as high as mating Tullys Ken! Bwahahaha!! Would be epic though!

Hopefully some of these guys will pop sooner then later. I was going to take some pics of just the nods, but that's just boring.

As soon as our hunting season is done it starts for you Floridians! Man i wish i was rich.

Hopefully you can find some awesome creek micros this season!

Good luck hunting!

~Charlie~

I was lacking a vehicle for a couple of months. Now I have one and am thinking about getting down to Pit 2. Maybe this weekend.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

I wish i could join you sir! I literally just hit a deer this morning and will be without a vehicle for a week or two. Haha, the irony....

~Charlie~

I wish! It was about a six point buck that got up dazed and stumbled off into the woods. It actually went into a hunters club, so i called them to harvest it (if they could find him).

Im a wiz at making homemade jerky too....haha

I actually totaled my car last December hitting a deer. $7,000+ in damages. I think i need to get some stickers put on my car like the old fighter pilots did of their kills. I've bagged 3 so far.

~Charlie~

Dude, the insurance people must love you, Charlie! :blink::rolleyes:

Sorry about your accident - maybe you need to get one of those deer whistle things to put on your car....

Doesn't cost as much as the repairs... just sayin! ;)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 5 weeks later...

So i figured i'd update this thread with some of the nicer finds so far from this trip. I have about 30-40 more still freeze/thawing, so hopefully those turn out just as nice if not better......let's hope for better. ;)

I've placed a US dime in each picture for size reference. Sometimes it's hard to see due to photo editing. So think of it like a "Where's Waldo?", except "Where's Franklin?".

My first, and very large Trigonocarpus sp.

post-14584-0-16517900-1417061459_thumb.jpg

My biggest to date piece of Calamites

post-14584-0-26375300-1417061774_thumb.jpg

Little clusters of Calamites

post-14584-0-37397300-1417061891_thumb.jpg

My first Horseshoe crab material.....not the best lil' guys, but I'll take em'.

post-14584-0-64587500-1417061947_thumb.jpg

A bunch of nice fern specimens

post-14584-0-64917400-1417062053_thumb.jpg

....continued ferns

post-14584-0-06649600-1417062153_thumb.jpg

A nice double fern piece

post-14584-0-57903500-1417062175_thumb.jpg

A nice piece of Cyperites

post-14584-0-65313600-1417062267_thumb.jpg

Here's a strange piece. Jack Wittrey said it maybe a piece of immature fern, but he wasn't 100% sure. I've never seen anything like it.

post-14584-0-97322300-1417062329_thumb.jpg

Random woody material

post-14584-0-27622300-1417062469_thumb.jpg

My first examples of Lepidostrobophyllum

post-14584-0-57328100-1417064051_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking!

~Charlie~

Wow! :)

Excellent finds, Charlie - you are doing pretty well with this batch!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks Tim. The Trigonocarpus seed and large Calamites section are the "trip makers". The rest are just welcomed pluses. Hopefully I'll find an insect or whole Horseshoe in my other nods still cycling. But im not holding my breath. Haha

~Charlie~

Thanks Chris. Yeah this trip was a good one. I wish it wasnt 19° out and snowing, so i can go back. Haha

~Charlie~

Here's a strange piece. Jack Wittrey said it maybe a piece of immature fern, but he wasn't 100% sure. I've never seen anything like it.

IMG_20141126_215742.jpghttp://www.thefossilforum.com/uploads/monthly_11_2014/post-14584-0-97322300-1417062329.jpg

I'd think this one deserves a bit more research. Looks different than anything I've seen.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

I'd think this one deserves a bit more research. Looks different than anything I've seen.

I thought so too. It's a strange piece. I wish Jack included more immature foliage in his book.

~Charlie~

I pieced this guy together tonight. It was found preserved in pieces. So i collected all of them and put then in a sandwich bag and froze/thawed them until they all cracked open. What a mess.....

It's my longest example of Cyperites sp. to date, and measures exactly 7 inches. And it's my only example of Cyperites with a leaf scar. Kinda cool.....

post-14584-0-74607100-1417668240_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-46089000-1417668252_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

...Kinda cool.....

I'll say! Those nodules never cease to amaze.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'll say! Those nodules never cease to amaze.

And that's exactly what keeps me going back. You really never know what you'll find. I'm starting to get my X-ray vision with some of these, but really no matter your knowledge on these nods, you will never know what's inside. New species of both fauna and flora are still being found there!

My bucket list is ever growing with my knowledge of this wonderful fossilized window that continues to let us glimpse into 300mya.

~Charlie~

• 2 weeks later...

I pieced this guy together tonight. It was found preserved in pieces. So i collected all of them and put then in a sandwich bag and froze/thawed them until they all cracked open. What a mess.....

It's my longest example of Cyperites sp. to date, and measures exactly 7 inches. And it's my only example of Cyperites with a leaf scar. Kinda cool.....

attachicon.gifIMG_20141203_220419.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20141203_220932.jpg

Thanks Charlie for sharing your finds. I’d like to have a closer look at what appears to be a complete Cyperites that you found. The sandwich bag technique is something that I may be able to use in the future.

Thanks Charlie for sharing your finds. I’d like to have a closer look at what appears to be a complete Cyperites that you found. The sandwich bag technique is something that I may be able to use in the future.

Sure thing sir. I'll snap a picture later tonight for ya'.

~Charlie~

Archived