Dinictis

Recently, I found myself visiting my family because they were camping not too far down the road at Edgar Evins State Park in DeKalb County, TN. I had heard that Center Hill Lake is a great place for fossils, so I was eager to see what I could find. My youngest sister who is ten years old (15 years age difference between us) was THRILLED to be A ) hanging out with big sister, and B ) going fossil hunting! I made sure she knew ahead of time that we could not actually *take* anything we found since we were in a state park.

Honestly, I did invite everyone else come along too, but all the other grown-ups wanted to do was sit around the fire. :)

We picked our way down to the lake. The water was high and there was not a nice beach to speak of. However, there were lots and lots of boulders. My sister said that she and our dad had climbed on them the day before to see how far they could throw sticks and nuts into the water. I immediately started spotting fossils embedded in the rocks. This was the first sign that we were in for a fossil-filled afternoon:

First fossil of the day

The boulders in some places were practically made of fossils. Her reaction: "I can't believe I was out here with Daddy yesterday standing on all these fossils and didn't even notice!"

Center Hill Lake, DeKalb County, TN

We found lots of nice little cephalopod fossils.

Size Comparison

These were the biggest cephalopods we found. She was amazed! I told her that people have found truly enormous ones in other parts of the world.

Larger Cephalopods

Size comparison of the larger cephalopod

The fossils are weathering away with the limestone.

Ordovician fossils side by side at Center Hill Lake

Ordovician Cephalopod

Druzy quartz appears to have filled this one! Not sure what kind of fossil it is.

Druzy Quartz Crystals

I explained that this was an extinct relative of squids etc. I also pointed out the brachiopods all through the rocks.

Nice Cephalopod

After hearing what kinds of creatures used to live here as evidenced by the fossils, she exclaimed with wonder, "So all this used to be under the sea!" She's quick!

Fossil Hunting

Fossil-filled rocks

All in all, it was a very fulfilling afternoon, even though we didn't take a single fossil home with us. We still have photos and memories (and some silly sisters-with-fossils-selfie shots not posted here). I'm a pretty enthusiastic person, but there is something about seeing a kid get excited about something that makes it all even more fun! It was my little sister's very first fossil hunt. She could not stop talking about it for the rest of the day. I think I've successfully infected her with fossil fever!

Nice that your sister got excited, and had a great time.

There is something very enjoyable about exposing kids to the past this way.

It was good of you to take her on the hunt.

Thanks for the wonderful trip report, and photo safari! :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great share on your fossil hunt! Yes, it is so much fun to take kids out fossil hunting! :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts: