snakebite6769

Ok, so I collect at the same spot frequently, so I often run into some oddities. Whenever I have a question I simply pop it up on here and usually get the answer or ID fairly quickly. Members here have been fantastic at helping me with my collecting. now I have come across two things that are fairly bizarre to me at least. the first one is a concretion, pennsylvanian I believe, that I am not sure what it could be..any help here would be fantastic..

post-8290-0-46849300-1412480471_thumb.jpgpost-8290-0-06118500-1412480494_thumb.jpgpost-8290-0-75460200-1412480482_thumb.jpg

the second thing I have is from the same place, near turbotville Pa. and its got me baffled, because its a very nice concretion with a trilobite cephalon, however there is something I have never seen going on here...it almost appears to have a horn or smething sticking out of the glabella....yes there was a second one where it seperated on another plane, but I already glued it together, so there is two of these things..

post-8290-0-78329700-1412480812_thumb.jpgpost-8290-0-06422900-1412480825_thumb.jpg

Heres a picture of the bottom portion where the glabella popped off of the bottom lip if you will......you can see the lower markings where the genal cheeks (for lack of knowing the term, they arent spikes lol) are located.

post-8290-0-78018400-1412480848_thumb.jpg

Looks to me like your "horn" is probably the mineralized filling of a crack in the stone which has its origin in the shell substance. You see that phenomenon quite often.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Looks like a siderite nodule which are very common in Pennsylvanian shales. They form diagenetically, which means they form long after the sediment that forms the shale has been deposited. They very often contain minerals including, barite, galena, pyrite, sphalerite and calcite. They can also contain fossils that act as the nucleus of the nodule to form around.

the first set might be a seed .

the rest look like siderite nodules with calcite inclusions to me

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I believe the site is Devonian.

I think the first one looks like an infilled burrow.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 3 weeks later...

The first set of images is a meniscate-backfilled burrow of a bivalve. Depending on which direction is up, this could be a fugichnia trace (escape from sedimentation or exposure) which usually don't have binomial names, an equlibrichnia (moving in equilibrium with sedimentation) trace like Scalichnus isp., or it could be a feeding/locomotion trace like Taenidium or something similar.

Check out this paper for a little more info: http://www.int-res.com/articles/ab2008/2/b002p255.pdf

Also check out this website (http://ichnology.ku.edu) for help with identifying trace fossils in the future. The IchnoBioGeoScience (IBGS) Research Group at the University of Kansas is building the largest digital database for ichnology anywhere. We are also looking for collaborators (professional/amateur/academic) to help build the database and it is free for all to use!

If you have questions or want to collaborate with us, just contact the KU Ichnology Webmaster here (http://ichnology.ku.edu/contact_us.html).

Archived