Meg? From Denmark

Diana78

Hoping to find someone here Who Can identify this shark tooth - which

Shark did i come from ? Its 6,5 cm long and i found it in Denmark - thanks from Diana

post-16655-0-65240700-1412617414_thumb.jpgpost-16655-0-77618700-1412617227_thumb.jpg

It is one of the mega-tooth Carcharocles species, probably C. megalodon.

The root is missing, along with any possible basal cusps, so the age of the formation would be needed to add certainty.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Where in Denmark did you find it?

We have members who might be familiar with the geology there.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I will add Denmark to the topic title; it will help get the attention it deserves. :)

According to this Geologic map of Denmark, it appears that the area may be a mixture of Oligocene, Miocene, and or Pliocene, aged bedrock.

Map is too small and colors not contrasting enough to tell .

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I have not personally heard of any megalodon teeth from Denmark before. Any chance it was planted for you to find or it was misplaced by someone?

Bendix-Almgreen, SVEND ERIK. "Carcharodon megalodon from the Upper Miocene of Denmark, with comments on elasmobranch tooth enameloid: Coronoïn." Bulletin of the Geological Society of Denmark 32 (1983): 1-32.

I have not personally heard of any megalodon teeth from Denmark before. Any chance it was planted for you to find or it was misplaced by someone?

Bendix-Almgreen, SVEND ERIK. "Carcharodon megalodon from the Upper Miocene of Denmark, with comments on elasmobranch tooth enameloid: Coronoïn." Bulletin of the Geological Society of Denmark 32 (1983): 1-32.

Thanks for the info - a first for me!

This is an extremely rare tooth, whatever exact species it turns out to be!

I am still leaning towards C. megalodon.

I will add Denmark to the topic title; it will help get the attention it deserves. :)

thank you - yes maybe that will help me to solve this little mystery :fistbump:

According to this Geologic map of Denmark, it appears that the area may be a mixture of Oligocene, Miocene, and or Pliocene, aged bedrock.

Map is too small and colors not contrasting enough to tell .

Regards,

thank you :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76: and yes it is to small a map to be 100% sure

i dont think it was planted there - 2 years ago they found a tooth very similar to the one i found - they called it a sensation - because it was the third ever to be found in denmark - my tooth was found about 20 km south from there

here is a link to the newspaper.: http://politiken.dk/indland/ECE1654225/naturskole-finder-sjaelden-tand-fra-kaempe-soeuhyre/

i dont think it was planted there - 2 years ago they found a tooth very similar to the one i found - they called it a sensation - because it was the third ever to be found in denmark - my tooth was found about 20 km south from there

here is a link to the newspaper.: http://politiken.dk/indland/ECE1654225/naturskole-finder-sjaelden-tand-fra-kaempe-soeuhyre/

I am now sure it came from the area, apologies for my doubts at the start. Congratulations on this mega-rare find!

Here's a publication (Bendix-Almgreen) about megalodon from Denmark if it can helps.

http://2dgf.dk/xpdf/bull32-01-02-1-32.pdf

A spine partially preserved specimen of another megalodon extracted from excavations from clay gram in Denmark by Bendix-Almgeen in 1983 This specimen consists of 20 vertebral centra, with the centra from 100 mm to 230 mm diameter.

I am now sure it came from the area, apologies for my doubts at the start. Congratulations on this mega-rare find!

Oh you dont have to apologies my friend!! Trust me i learn Every Day ! And its one of the reasons i turned to you guys - I am just glad that i found my (C. meg ?)tooth :-D

Here's a publication (Bendix-Almgreen) about megalodon from Denmark if it can helps.

http://2dgf.dk/xpdf/bull32-01-02-1-32.pdf

A spine partially preserved specimen of another megalodon extracted from excavations from clay gram in Denmark by Bendix-Almgeen in 1983 This specimen consists of 20 vertebral centra, with the centra from 100 mm to 230 mm diameter.

Thats amazing - i have been searching for this Info for some Time now - and here you bring it ! Thank you very much !! I really appreciate that !!

Here's a translation...

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=da&tl=en&u=http://politiken.dk/indland/ECE1654225/naturskole-finder-sjaelden-tand-fra-kaempe-soeuhyre/

Thats amazing - i have been searching for this Info for some Time now - and here you bring it ! Thank you very much !! I really appreciate that !!

Just one click, you're welcome :)

Out of interest, were you looking for fossils, or did you was it an accidental find?

Well it is a interest and a hobby - but this Day i wasn't looking ! Other Days i have spend hours on looking - now How typical is that ?! :-D

Archived