Sharkteeth

Bekron

Went to Mansfield today looking for shark teeth, vertebrae, etc... When we got there we set the odometer. We drove almost 75 miles in and around the Mansfield area looking for areas that looked like they would be good to hunt. We stopped at about 5 or 6 places but found no evidence of ANY fossilization. The areas were scattered among the south and east sides of town and all contained quarts chunks and rabbit coprolites (not really). The areas were mostly new construction and drainage ditches. They were the yellowest areas we could find, some rocky, some mostly dirt.

IMG_3438.jpg

I will have to see a shark tooth come out of the ground to actually believe they exist in Mansfield.

After 5 or 6 hours of frustration we decided to move on to one of our favorite ammonite sites near the Crowley/Benbrook area. We were not disappointed and found a complete ammonite just over 12 inches in diameter.

IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

We also found our largest shoe clam close to home yesterday.

I guess we will have to drive up to Sherman soon to look for shark teeth. We made a nice 1/4" mesh frame to classify the gravel. Mansfield is so close to home it just bums us out that we keep coming up empty handed. We were planning on not coming home till we found a shark tooth but it was getting cold and late so we had to abandon that idea.

I think you are a few years too late for sharks teeth in Mansfield. I use to get a bunch there a few years back. They have covered a lot of the good places up, but there are a few places left that will give up one or two every once in a while. If you were in and around highway 360, you were in the right area. It is frustrating to go and be skunked!

I think you are a few years too late for sharks teeth in Mansfield. I use to get a bunch there a few years back. They have covered a lot of the good places up, but there are a few places left that will give up one or two every once in a while. If you were in and around highway 360, you were in the right area. It is frustrating to go and be skunked!

Yes we were all over that area. There was a lot of recent erosion in all of the areas we hunted so we were just hoping we were in the right spots. I guess Sherman soon!

If you go to Sherman, you will be in a creek, sifting gravel. So you will need a sifter, and you can make one.

I love that place cause it have a little of everything

And you might want to bring a chair...

It's a little easier to sift that way.

Anyone ever find any teeth in Choctaw Creek?

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

And you might want to bring a chair...

It's a little easier to sift that way.

Anyone ever find any teeth in Choctaw Creek?

Have not checked Choctaw yet. Come on up and we'll giver her a try.

You need to see the inlaws anyway!!!! :P