Westmoreland State Park

sparkchaser

Wednesday or Thursday the fiance told me that for Valentine's Day she wanted to go fossil hunting so I naturally agreed and we decided to hit Westmoreland State Park. What a waste. Two hours and all we had to show for it was 2 teeth, a few bone fragments and some pretty rocks. I'll post pics tomorrow when I am in a better mood.

On the plus side, the weather cooperated nicely.

Did I hit the beach on a bad day?

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

Guest bmorefossil

not sure, well i didnt do to well at purse today someone thought it was a good idea to destroy the beach and dig in the cliff, i mean really dig not just pop stuff off.

That sucks man. I almost headed to try and find Purse today but decided to go explore Fredericksburg instead.

I thought you couldn't hunt at Westmoreland anymore? :blink: I thought the rangers made it off limits? :(

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Since they closed access to any of the beach under the cliffs, what's left gets picked over pretty hard.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Since they closed access to any of the beach under the cliffs, what's left gets picked over pretty hard.

I guess its like the beach at Calvert Cliffs state park now where you can't go very far. Are there any access points to the rest of Calvert cliffs other than the park? I mean around the park area?

We started at the pier by the rental office and went as far as the first NO TRESPASSING sign. I didn't see any other footprints.

We started at the pier by the rental office and went as far as the first NO TRESPASSING sign. I didn't see any other footprints.

Well that stinks. Do they still let you down the trail that leads to the beach right before you get to Stradford?

Guest bmorefossil
That sucks man. I almost headed to try and find Purse today but decided to go explore Fredericksburg instead.

well i must thank him because we went to a new spot and i found 2 otodus over 2" could have been 3 but one is broken, the largest is 2 5/8"

That 'splains a lot. That beach has never been much except for little North Beach class teeth in the (occasional) windrows of pea gravel. The smallish walk-in beach on the down-stream end of the park is better. Park out of the way at the overlook and hike down the trail through the woods to the beach there. It's not like the glory days of yore, but you can usually find a pocket full of teeth, lots of bone, and the occasional crab nodule. Do not venture into the forbidden zone under the cliffs!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!