Unknown Cretacious Shark Tooth

Mtskinner

Are these Cretoxyrhina Mantelli teeth? I've been researching them and that's all I can come up with! Both are right at 1-1/4" long and 1" wide, they were found in South Alabama in the Blufftown Formation. As always, any comments will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Terence

post-13898-0-68881200-1412909132_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-37514200-1412909150_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-46106400-1412909275_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-86664200-1412909321_thumb.jpg

Cretoxyrhina mantelli, nice example----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

My guidebook says Cretoxyrhina only goes as high as Coniacian age deposits whereas Blufftown is of higher Maestrichtian age.

It shows a tooth called "Paranomotodon" which is Santonian-Campanian-Maestrichitian in age.

LanceH,

Cretoxyrhina has been reported from at least the Early Campanian in a few sites. Years ago, I picked up a worn one from the Sulphur River that I had been suspicious about because I didn't think the genus survived into the Campanian either but elasmo notes that it has been collected in the last few meters of the Smokey Hill Chalk which ranges into the Early Campanian.

I have read that the Blufftown is Campanian age. For example:

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/1305236?uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=21104817315347

Jess

My guidebook says Cretoxyrhina only goes as high as Coniacian age deposits whereas Blufftown is of higher Maestrichtian age.

It shows a tooth called "Paranomotodon" which is Santonian-Campanian-Maestrichitian in age.

My research indicates that the Blufftown formation is fron the Santonian to mid Campanian depending on what creek one collects from.

Been out of pocket for a few days...Troodon, these are found in both the middle and north fork of the creeks you are referring to. They are rare in this area as we rarely find these teeth. I would say we find 500 goblins for each one of these.

Rare is always good, congratulations on continuing to have these type of finds. The creeks you mention are late Santonian to mid Campanian.

• 1 month later...