Lias Brittlestar Ftm Prep

TqB

Here's a brief description of how I prepped the Yorkshire coast Palaeocoma milleri that won last month's invertebrate competition.

It was found in the middle of the top face of large, hard sandstone boulder. The tide was coming in quite fast and I wasn't sure if it was extractable in time - but after a frantic hour of chiseling a channel around it it was ready to lift. Always a scary moment but the Estwing bolster did the job :).

The resulting block is 12" x 8" x 3". The curly arm on the left was loose and broken into four pieces - these were carefully packed and glued back on at home.

gallery_4556_2094_195393.jpg

The next step was to rough it out with an air pen and abrader to see how far the arms went. Sadly, none of the others were as complete as the exposed one but that's often the way with brittlestars... Also, the surface of the central area is slightly corroded by the acid from a decomposing thin layer of pyrite - a common problem from this formation.

I also used some potassium hydroxide flakes which is why the matrix has turned red-brown along the top arms.

gallery_4556_2094_256545.jpg

Then more work with pen and KOH to expose the centre disc and bring out the arms:

gallery_4556_2094_325062.jpg

It was then soaked for a couple of days to remove KOH.

After more penning and tidying with the air abrader, the pen marks were ground away and that's as far as I've taken it - there's certainly scope to do more but I'm leaving it for now.

593033cc8b99b_IMG_0753c-Copy(1).jpg.8d903e53e8dd5c1d24d145c1fd99b138.jpg

Tarquin

Wonderfully done!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thanks for posting your prep journey!

It is a amazing piece sir!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

That is awesome! Does the KOH work to soften the matrix? If so, how deep in the rock does it work?

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Thanks, everyone!

Ramo - KOH works when there's enough clay in the matrix - you place pellets or (in this case) flakes on the surface and allow atmospheric moisture to dissolve them; the highly saturated solution is absorbed by clay particles up to several mm deep in the rock, swelling it up and loosening it. It takes a few hours and can then be washed away, with gentle brushing.

It's a method that has to be used with care - it can all too easily break up the specimen, especially with complex structures like articulated echinoderms - crinoids in particular are easy to destroy this way.

And often it doesn't work at all - there are areas of this one that it had no effect on, the fossil being mainly in a thin shale lens but penetrating in places to the overlying sandstone.

I mentioned acid from the pyrite content (a hard thin layer which had to be mechanically removed) - KOH has a useful side effect of helping to neutralise it but I still soaked it in water for a couple of days afterwards.

Edited by TqB
  • I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

Thanks for posting the process, Tarquin!

A truly worthy Fossil of the Month.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me