Megalodon Goes To The Dentist

Pterosaur

Hi!

I recently posted about two weeks ago asking for techniques on repairing a 6' megalodon tooth. I only had about 60% of the tooth to work with, so my intent was to recreate the missing section. I received helpful feedback and support from fossil forum members, and I've finally taken a crack at it. I am pretty excited with how it's coming along, so thought I'd share my progress.

Aside from a shattered triceratops rib, this is the only fossil repair I've ever done. I'm still finishing up the back half of the tooth as well as adding more detail to the front (trying to better hide the split). Please let me know what you think and any further advice you may have! :)

Also, in case anyone is interested, the materials I have used so far are:

• Metal repair epoxy
  • Wood repair epoxy
  • Acrylic paint
  • Clear gloss top-coat
  • Thumb-tack

Thanks!!

Lauren

post-15415-0-65531900-1413168564_thumb.jpgpost-15415-0-47665300-1413168261_thumb.jpgpost-15415-0-35920900-1413167839_thumb.jpgpost-15415-0-36013400-1413167849_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aerodactyl
  • I found this Informative 1

"I am a part of all that I have met." - Lord Alfred Tennyson

Hi,

Very nice result !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Outstanding job!!! It is hard to believe that this is your first restoration. For future restorations, one suggestion is blending the area between the real and restored portion of the tooth so you don't see a line. The color match is really good. Another suggestion is matching the shine/gloss a little better as the repaired area is a little duller. (looking at this again, it may be just the lighting in the pictures) I'm sure TFF members could give you suggestions on how to do this. The tooth is now a great specimen.

Marco Sr.

Edited by MarcoSr

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Thanks for posting the finished product. Very impressive for your first time, and as Marco noted, the color match looks great!

Jay

Simply incredible for only the second time doing that!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Thank you all for the positive feedback! Very much appreciated. Also, thank you MarcoSr for your helpful advice. This forum is great.

• 1 month later...

Aero, what a great first project! I don't know how limited you are in how you prepare your original fossil, but we dentists blend composite fillings into enamel by bevelling the substrate surface and then etching with about 35% Phosphoric Acid for 20 seconds or so before flooding the etch with a bonding monomer to which the repair material will adhere. The bevel works better if it is somewhat uneven with random little offshots ( like deep scratches) at differing angles across the bevel and beyond . This prevents the eye's bing drawn to the junction.

As for the surface texture, common epoxy repair materials are coarse. There is a great online site for auto body repair materials and instructions which provides a series of epoxy coatings of finer material for final gloss. That is Eastwood.com . They have YouTube videos about sanding/polishing grit orders to achieve final gloss and even sell spray paints that can shine like chrome, brass or polished copper.

Also. As is done to repair non-skid boat decks, you could make an impression of the original surface with polyvinyl siloxane or rubber thiokol material and then impress that texture onto the repair material before it set in order to more accurately duplicate the original surface texture.

Edited by Drjohn71a
  • I found this Informative 1

So, if I sent you my similarly broken Megalodon tooth, what would you charge to repair it? Outside work?

Edited by Drjohn71a

That is frigging fantastic, and as I am a modeler , heck of a job, the match is like 100% dead on.

First time,heck ain't fooling me. :D

Jeff

Jeff

Aero, what a great first project! I don't know how limited you are in how you prepare your original fossil, but we dentists blend composite fillings into enamel by bevelling the substrate surface and then etching with about 35% Phosphoric Acid for 20 seconds or so before flooding the etch with a bonding monomer to which the repair material will adhere. The bevel works better if it is somewhat uneven with random little offshots ( like deep scratches) at differing angles across the bevel and beyond . This prevents the eye's bing drawn to the junction.

As for the surface texture, common epoxy repair materials are coarse. There is a great online site for auto body repair materials and instructions which provides a series of epoxy coatings of finer material for final gloss. That is Eastwood.com . They have YouTube videos about sanding/polishing grit orders to achieve final gloss and even sell spray paints that can shine like chrome, brass or polished copper.

Also. As is done to repair non-skid boat decks, you could make an impression of the original surface with polyvinyl siloxane or rubber thiokol material and then impress that texture onto the repair material before it set in order to more accurately duplicate the original surface texture.

Thanks for the helpful advice!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• 1 month later...

Man, I did not expect so much positive feedback... Thank you very much to all of you for such positive and constructive comments. I truly appreciate it.

drjohn71a: thank you for taking the time to give your dentistry advice and so many helpful suggestions. I would be happy to repair your specimen. Please message me on here if you would like to talk further.

Edited by Aerodactyl

• 1 month later...

Perhaps a restoration service on the horizon......

Looks to be professionally done.

I bet you could do good on artifacts as well.

I know someone who makes pretty good $ restoring NA artifacts.

With practice comes expertise.

Jess B.