Opal Fossil

Mike from North Queensland

A while back when looking through some matrix I noticed a flash of colour coming from the side of one of the small pieces. As I have now recently purchased a 5 mp digital microscope for my computer I can now better show the specimen. The fossil appears to be fish vertebra and was found in the Toolebuc formation in the quarry just outside Richmond Queensland Australia. this formation is marine hence the fish and is contemporary in age to the opal fossils found at lighting ridge. The nearest opal field is about 300 kilometres south at Opalton hence opal fossils are not known to be found in the quarry. This as far as I know is the only one, but shows that there may be more. As for scale the longest side of the piece of matrix is 12 mm long. enjoy

Mike D

post-4980-0-44666800-1413234894_thumb.jpg

post-4980-0-84571400-1413234963_thumb.jpg

What is the color of the mineral that has the specks of color? I wonder if is pyrite or mother of pearl. The colors don't look like most opal that I have seen.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

very cool :D

It does look like Bornite crystals though.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

What is the color of the mineral that has the specks of color? I wonder if is pyrite or mother of pearl. The colors don't look like most opal that I have seen.

I agree. It looks like the first stage of an oxidizing metal ore like pyrite, bornite or haematite.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• 9 months later...

This is one I had forgotten I had posted. It looks and flashes like a normal opal in the hand and the vertebrae are only partially opalised

The specimen is so small but interesting.

Mike

Archived