Edisto Beach, Sc

adventureswithjim

This is my image collection from samples of beach sand from Edisto Beach, SC. I hope to add more images and inforamtion to this thread over time, kind of as a way to archive my exploration here.

Some background info:

Microscope is Amscope M120 with a 1.3 mp digital cam, the mfg claims "the cam is about equal to a 40X eyepiece" (whatever THAT means...) With 4X and 10X objectives, this gives me 2 usable settings of 160X and 400X. Most images will be the 160X variety, the higher magnification not so great at 3-D objects. The best I can figure so far is at "160X" the field of view of the images is between 1mm and 1.4mm.

Not all of the images are fossils, some are just cool things I found along the way. Mostly, I'm hunting forams, still learning how to ID them. If you recognize something go ahead and shout it out :-)

The samples are a mix of pretty much everything from the oligocene to the present, megladon teeth are occasionally found on this beach along with thousands of smaller teeth, turtle fossils, fish, coral, sea shell, even mammal fossil bone.

For this search I started with a wash to pan out any light weight organics, then washed through a fine kitchen strainer and cooked the sample dry in a toaster over. The material on the beach can range from super fined grained to shell banks with 4"+ shells and frags. At the scale of the strainer and microscope I have available small shark teeth and fish parts are mostly screened out, but they can be present in unfiltered sand.

OK....enough with the boring stuff....how about some pretty pics?

post-14173-0-46034200-1413263486_thumb.jpg

post-14173-0-78333200-1413263674_thumb.png

post-14173-0-36252300-1413263758_thumb.jpg

These are relatively common while scanning...the mystery black blobs. They are somewhat difficult to pull any sort of good details, I've been experimenting with lighting trying to get a better look at them...

post-14173-0-67874900-1413265898_thumb.png

Last two for the night...the red blobs: interesting to see something so nice and round when the character of the sand is so angular. Last image looks like some kind of barb?

post-14173-0-95899500-1413268121_thumb.jpg

post-14173-0-06512400-1413268128_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

you have some nice forams. The greenish blobs look like glauconite. The spine looks like something from an echinoid,

If you go to the Forminifera.EU web site in our links above you will find a wealth of information about forams, and ID aids.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Archived