Hi, I'm Trying To Identify This Fossil I Found In New York State, Looks Like The Bottom Of A Mushroom.

MikeDel

I found this fossil in NYS near a creek in Hillsdale. Any ideas on what it is?, It has defined grooves, curved shape like it's half of the bottom of a mushroom. Searched the web but saw nothing like it. Please let me know if you have any tips for me. Thanks.

-mike

post-16732-0-46955900-1413570041_thumb.jpgpost-16732-0-75758600-1413570076_thumb.jpg

brach.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

maybe it's Daonella…what you guys think?

No, not Daonella - much older.

Your's is probably from the Ordovician, (Not the Triassic) and a brachiopod, rather than a pelecypod.

Hopefully, one of the brachiopod experts may weigh in soon.

Regards,

EDIT: According to this geologic bedrock map - your area is probably Ordovician in age, so, I have retracted my earlier PDF link.

It maybe something similar to Sowerbyella sp.

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

the groves are very thin, easly over 100 lines on this 2 inch area, no horizontal grooves, doesn't quite look like a shell, lines look more like fibers, like they have a slight waves in some places.

other ideas...

Middle Devonian Nautiloid….

maybe Mushroom coral fossil?

No, on all 3.

Just give it a bit of time - others will weigh in. Sometimes, it takes a few days.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It's not a nautiloid, definitely. You'd have either a coil/curve (a lot like modern nautilus) or it would be straight-shelled.

My vote goes to "brachiopod" of some sort. The hinge seems to be missing judging by the photo in post 8.

That would help a lot, but rest assured, you've got something that lived 400 million years ago and the part you have is well-preserved.

I think it's a partial Rafinesquina or Strophomena. I don't see a complete hinge line but the rest seems to indicate something along those lines.

• I found this Informative 1

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I think it's a partial Rafinesquina or Strophomena. I don't see a complete hinge line but the rest seems to indicate something along those lines.

If indeed it is Ordovician I would agree with Dave. But without an intact hinge line it will be just an educated guess. Hopefully you will make return visits and eventually find a complete specimen or at least one with a few more diagnostic features preserved.

Thanks guys, i'll look there again in a few weeks, it's on my own land so it doesn't get disturbed too often. Any tips on what types of rocks (colors and size) i should be looking for around there for fossils besides ones like this? . I'm assuming this one is some sorta shale.

(New York State, Hillsdale, Agawamuck Creek area)