Latest Trip To Nsr

believerjoe

Found this on Saturday within the first 20 minutes. Kind of the piece we have been looking for since the tooth is still there. Would rather have regular tooth, but this may be even more rare? Also several verts, but really wanted to share this one. Me and my son were both pretty vocal when we saw this! Days like that just make me want to go back more.

post-14723-0-07596800-1413766480_thumb.jpg

This is quite spectacular. Wonderful find. This is one that really says a lot about the great fossil history Texas has. Well done.

CF

Nice tooth/Jaw section. Globidens sp.?

Congrats on the rare find.
Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I know it to be Globidens, but not sure of the exact species. We have found another tooth broken in half and a whole front tooth - the not so round ones. Funny looking skeletons on these guys. I have cleaned it now and will get more pics up.

Very nice. Globidens alabamensis have been found on the N. Sulphur. I don't know how to distinguish them from other possibilities.

Nice extremely rare find from the Sulphur, Bob is correct on his ID----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Is there a way to distinguish vertebrae of the Globidens from the other Mosasaurs? I think I am on some material from a single individual and all the pieces are associated. They are stained the same and have the same patina if you will. Also found a rib bone that matches and way wider than the others.

This would be quite rare and best excavated by professionals if possible. Much could be learned from this if you are correct. You should contact Dr. Louis Jacobs at SMU, maybe add some photos of the associated parts to spark his interest. jacobs (at) smu. It's a dot edu.

Quite a rare find! Very nice - Thanks for sharing.

Jon

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

Heading back in the morning to see if we can locate the source of these finds. I am actually not that hopeful, but we will look hard. Of course we will see what else we may find along the way!

Sweet tooth/jaw frag!

Good luck in your hunt for the whole specimen!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Well, my son and I went this morning in search of the critter. I followed the wall on my way and saw a vert under the water about a foot. Told my son to pick it up and low and behold it is another vert just like the others! The good news is that we had found another piece of the puzzle, but the bad news is that it was about 100 yards up stream from the others. lol. I soon realized that it was all collecting pretty far away from the source and it makes sense, but it expanded my search area. I poked and played in the much along the bank for a while not really being able to move to well in the 4 foot mud. I guess there is always next time. I do think I know whereabouts it may be, but no idea of how I could ever really search. Maybe the dead of winter will kill back some stuff and harden the ground. However, a fourth matching vert makes for a nice display piece!

The wet one is the latest find. it will dry to the same color. These are over a foot long together. Picture stinks cause it is dark in my room, but am I crazy thinking these go together?

post-14723-0-76288600-1414292744_thumb.jpg

Great job and very nice verts. I can't tell if they belong together but I sure hope so. The 2 to the right look like they

fit snugly to me. I think someone who has found lots of them may be able to tell... and there is that tooth again! :envy:

Welcome to the forum!

Oh I don't know if these actually fit per se, but close. Need some way to mount them together without damaging them. There have been several people inquire about the tooth. My son found another one of these (not in a jaw fragment) not too long ago. it was split in half though. We found severl more verts today that do not go to this animal, some turtle plastron, and many more bone frags. Slow day compared to last week when we hit it hard. Also got super excited about a piece of bone that was protruding from the gravel. Started digging it up and it got larger. Sure got excited until I saw more it. FInally extracted a nice large cow skull, lol. We still brought that home..... Thanks for being envious of something we have located. I have seen some of what folks have pulled from that river, and there are pieces that we hope to find one day still. I often wondered how much more can come from there, but we find stuff all the time.

I am totally impressed! Great job in getting out there and finding another vert. Just today I was wondering if I should get a set of neoprene chest waders and I think you have settled that for me. Canada streams are pretty cold and at this time of year a good neoprene suit is the best.

Grant

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, after a lot of rain and the river jumping to 10 feet, I figured there would be lots of stuff to find. The water was still flowing pretty good, but I accidentally happened across the source location of this mosasaur! I just wasn't looking in the right place. I spotted a vert and started removing some surrounding shale thinking that I was just going to dig up this one. I glanced to the right and thought I saw another vert and after some investigating I had. Wasn't long before I realized that I was on the right trail.

I would have to apologize to the pros because I got carried away and started digging in between these two only to find more and in the process I was losing the fin pieces or whatever you might call them. THey were alrady broken, but still in place, but I ruined that. I did extract all the pieces that I could find. Luckily it was getting dark and I just couldn't see any more. Once I realized what I was doing I stopped and hauled the stuff to the truck.

All in all I took out 6 vertebrae and some assorted rib pieces. I also found a skull frag already washed out about 10 feet away or possibly in the right area.

Everything within me wants to just go back and dig it all up, but I held off. For the record, I emailed the feller at SMU that Bob suggested earlier since I did find the source.

It rained on my way home and then the river has jumped back to 4 foo thigh, so I am waiting for it to drain again.

I guess I would like some opinions. I told him to contact me tomorrow if there was any interest, or I was going to go as soon as Tuesday or Wednesday to see if there was more. I do assume that it has been washing out for months and I may have gotten the last of what was there or there could be much more hiding there.

of course, if he responds with no interest, then I am on my way to recover anything, but can I dig for this thing in the Sulphur? I probably have 12 or 13 verts, a skull piece, and a jaw frag with a tooth so far. There are plenty of fragment pieces also found as far as up to a mile down river and I can assume further and more spread out. THis will not be anywhere near complete or anything like that, but for the personal feeling of finding the resting place it has been worth it.

I will probably be heartbroken if they actually want the pieces, but trying to play nice! I appreciate the info I have gotten on here and never want to tread on that. I will admit that I have sold some pieces in the past, but kept what I might call my display pieces that I could not part with. I have no intentions on selling this as it seems fairly special to me. All the trips have paid off and even going with it being 33 degrees has paid off.

What would you do? If he doesn't respond, then I will lose my mind quickly.

Archived