Pleistocene Fossil Id Help. Mammoth Femur? Bison?

afoster

Wish the bone had atleast one end on it, but that would make it too easy. Included a 10 inch ruler for size comparison. The bone is very dense and heavy, I would say partially mineralized. Found in river in NW MO, where pleistocene bones are commonly found.

bone2_zps83bf3d2a.jpg

bone3_zps2ab509b2.jpg

bone4_zps325b40d9.jpg

bone5_zps80a9731b.jpg

bone1_zps16e467d6.jpg

I would guess a Equus or Bos femur.

It doesn't look thick enough for Mammoth.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

To me it doesn't seem to match up to Bos very well, doesn't seem to have the supracondyloid fossa. And Bos seems more round, as opposed to the twisted and flattened look of my bone.

I am not sure about Equus I don't have a good picture or sample to compare to.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Did comparison with bison tibia. The bone appears to be a damaged tibia. Though very close to bison all the examples I found are thinner, not as stocky as the bone you found.

Did comparison with bison tibia. The bone appears to be a damaged tibia. Though very close to bison all the examples I found are thinner, not as stocky as the bone you found.

I found the same thing when I compared to a bison tibia I have.

Looks very feasible to be a bison tibia, but the size difference is drastic and like you said the bone I found just seems more stocky.

I am by no means an expert, but could it be a bison antiquus? Would they be larger?

Yes, B antiquus, B. occidentalis, and B. latifrons were all in the area and were more robust than B. bison