Pyrite Rust/decay

Gideon

Hi

I have a few non-valuable fossils I am going to practice sealing in paraloid to hold back, or prevent decay.

However, a couple of them already have patches of rust and decay on them.

Would it be enough just to scrub them well before sealing, or would they need some specific treatment. I have a tub of Kurust rust-remover I use for the car. I was wondering whether I could apply this to convert the rust, then scrub clean before drying, and treating with paraloid.

Any suggestions or warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Some people use ammonia to neutralise the corrosion as it's usually acidic due to the suplher released from the breakdown.

Thanks guys.

I'll test a few theories on my box of bits of fossils and see what happens.

Ive already stained my hands blue with Kurust, and spilt acetone over my hands and sideboard.

Update - I wouldnt recommend Kurust rust remover. It works great on cars, but not ideal for this job.....it turns rust black, so darkens many areas of the pyrite.

Try the Iron Out. Mix with hot water (about 1cup per gallon of water) and soak pyrite for about 4 hours (overnight is better if you can). The pyrite will come out black. Never fear, scrub with concentrated Simple Green or liquid dish soap and a tooth brush. The black goes away and leaves nice clean pyrite behind once rinsed with water.

• I found this Informative 2

Make sure you don't soak the stuff in your kitchen if you have a significant other. The smell will cause an argument... Says the man with first hand experience! Good luck. Once you get them clean, let them dry for several days (or even heat slightly in oven as suggested in another post on forum). Then once you seal them in your Paraloid solution you should be good to go.