Jacksboro Tx Site Mystery Fossil - Id?

Texas Fossil Hound

I found this cylindrical fossil while hunting at the Jacksboro, TX Pennsylvanian site with the DPS a few weeks ago. Not sure what it is, but leaning toward an orthoconic cephalopod (Thanks BobWill!). Anyone else have some insight?

It is definitely not plant. It has a 1mm thick shell all the way around except where it has flaked off. The center is sediment and may have some extremely thin chambers, but it is hard to tell. I added some photos from the microscope. The fossil is round and does not appear to taper. It has a calcite-like buildup at one end. The break points in the shell do not appear to be original sections because there is some irregularity in them going around the diameter.

Post what you have and lets see if we can figure this out. Go!

post-4709-0-67058200-1413941951_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-75396200-1413941974_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-27141500-1413942003_thumb.jpg

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

Here are a few more pics from the Microscope.

Note the pic that shows some possible thin chambers - only 4mm apart, but appear at fairly regular intervals. Cephalopod?

post-4709-0-97514700-1413942382_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-77234600-1413942411_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-17498300-1413942442_thumb.jpg

I am leaning toward orthocone myself, but need better evidence of chambering.

jon

Phragmocone, maybe?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I dont thing that it is nautiloid.

If you fossil have a cleavage, make please a photo. Many thinks can get esier, when we understand internal structure of the fossil.

That transverse lines on your photo looks like similar of crinoide stem.

Need a photo ftom another angle.

Or may be it is a fragmocon fith part of a "residential chamber" of heteromorphous ammonoidea. But the distance between walls of chambers is too small.

post-16713-0-07216300-1414587100_thumb.jpg

Edited by Highlander

Since Jon's example is nicer, I decided to open mine to see if it would be helpful to see inside.

post-13-0-37295200-1414599285_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-65726300-1414599299_thumb.jpg

I also had 2 others from the past that I think are the same as Jon's and Bob's. If anyone thinks they are not the same material,

I can delete the below images as I do not want to cause confusion. If you think they are the same, I will go ahead and open the others.

The cracks look like fractures to me and not diagnostic.

post-13-0-37092200-1414597221_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

It almost looks like the sediment filled it very slowly in layers. Could it be a worm tube that was buried slowly while still upright ?

I just don't know. I thought the one I opened looked like Jon's but if it isn't the same then my

experiment wasn't much help.

Welcome to the forum!

here are some from Jacksboro as well. Many have segmentation lines and the one below split along one of the lines to reveal the inside. The one with the ruler is a straight cephalopod. Don't know about the other, but they are numerous in the Jacksboro area.....

post-11919-0-98040700-1414617608_thumb.jpg

post-11919-0-38507600-1414617629_thumb.jpg

Edited by rwise

Thanks for your help in advance.

Did scaphopods get that big there/then?

If it's not a ceph or burrow, that would be my next guess, except that the first one seems to narrow then widen again, which would argue against any sort of orthocone/tusk shaped shell. I just can't tell for sure whether we're looking at shell material or 'slickensides' on some of those.

Edited by Wrangellian

Something akin to Artisia comes to mind, except for the thin shelly material.

Context is critical.

my guess is cephalopod

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

All the scaphopods I've found there are much smaller. Also I wouldn't think a burrow or Artisia either one would have those ridges you see going down the length of these.

I tried to saw one lengthwise like Roz and it broke. It looks like concentric layers on the end view at the break, like on a concretion. I'm drifting back to plant, maybe seed fern.

post-4419-0-67412900-1414707046_thumb.jpg

post-4419-0-26769300-1414707089_thumb.jpg

Do any of the specimens shown here have any encrusting fossils on their surfaces?

Context is critical.

The "shell" is always disjointed, deformed or otherwise irregular. I'm not even sure if it's a "shell".

Maybe it's some sort of calcium burrow lining secreted by giant worms or molluscs.