National Meet? Anyone Interested Or Have A Few Ideas?

fossilized6s

I'd like to have a discussion about maybe organizing a "National meet/dig". Now i say "National" because hopefully members from all over the USA will be interested in attending. Or hopefully even "International".......

My idea is to find a handful of spots around the lower 48 that can provide us a place to dig, sleep, eat and have fun. Then we would all weigh our options and vote on a final location. I think somewhere in the Midwest would be ideal for the first meet, but im a bit bias.... :) (Mazon anyone?) The location for the dig or hunt would have to accommodate about 40-60+ members im guessing.

Now i help run a Horror movie convention all around the lower 48, and we get groups rates for a lot of things (believe me, it helps).

We could make a hotel our base. Then have a quarry or location lined up to dig at in the morning. Dig/collect for 4-6hrs. Go back to the hotel for a conference later in the evening (guest speakers, show and tell, vendors, etc.). Or you can just do your own thing. So basically there will be events planned out and group rates for all to enjoy. And if we have a year in advance to plan this and save our money to go, i think it would be a great vacation for any fossiler!

Any ideas or just general discussion on this is welcomed.

*Im just thinking out loud here. And this is no way going to happen or has been run by the "higher ups" yet.*

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I figure a 4-6hr hunt is good. Some of us aren't as durable as we use to be. It could be longer depending on th level of hunting.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

I have thought it would be great to meet a few members but wow, you have taken it to the next level!

It is a million miles from me but I couldn't think of anything more fun, cool idea.

Anyone else care to comment?

I'm thinking, could a fossil producing "place" handle 40-60 hunters at a time?

I know Mazon could handle them, but we would have to split off into 3-4 groups.

~Charlie~

Penn-Dixie in Hamburg, NY could, and they would be happy to host a group event.

I've also seen some roadcuts in southern IN that the Dry Dredgers like that are extensive enough for a large group to have fun with. Surface collecting only, though, no digging.

I like the idea, and I would be happy to meet more Forum members! :D

I'm thinking, could a fossil producing "place" handle 40-60 hunters at a time?

I would love to have folks come out to WY for something like this. The Green River quarries could handle 40 plus people.... but you gotta pay.

I would love to have folks come out to WY for something like this. The Green River quarries could handle 40 plus people.... but you gotta pay.

It's definitely on my bucket list. Could we get a group rate? 40+ is good business.

~Charlie~

And all these places mentioned would have to be contacted and all of the info (price, times, tools needed, etc) would be posted in a poll for a nice democratic vote.

But it doesn't seem like many people are interested....

~Charlie~

Maybe start this off with Regional Meetups?

I am in a HEAVILY FOSSILIZED AREA. Nearly every road cut has fossils in this area and we have some big road cuts! Beautiful with very few people - 18,000 in the whole county. :)

That said, I would be willing to host a Regional Meetup and provide maps to hunting places. I enjoy meeting other TFF members. :)

Another thought would be to combine a Meetup with a fossil show like MAPS. Iowa is heavily fossilized - a bigger extension of SE Minnesota. :)

If we could find someone local to point to some good collecting spots, maybe link up with the U of Iowa, you'd have a fossil show that has lectures, hunting and a world class U to visit.

Just thinking. :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

I have always thought a UK one could be good.

I think this is a very good idea, unfortunately I'm broke so traveling is out of the question for me. :)

BUT, TFF members often go to fossil shows and a meetup in that venue with hunting could be very doable.

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

It would make sense to do it in the states anyway, seeing as a large majority of members here seem to be American.

Wouldn't it be Great to setup a meetup in every country that has TFF members? :)

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

I am in Alberta but if I had enough notice I would be willing to travel anywhere in the US for something like this. Would be a lot of fun and great to actually meet some of the TFF members. Count me in!

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

How 'bout a Fossil Forum Flash Mob in Seymour, Texas?

We know a guy there with a spanking new museum...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

How 'bout a Fossil Forum Flash Mob in Seymour, Texas?

We know a guy there with a spanking new museum...

I'm game.

Paulding Quarry in Ohio? Lots of trilobite potential and somewhat centrally located.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I'm game just need some time to save up some money and I'm there. Maybe we can do some face to face trades as we'll. :)

Edited by DLB

It would be great! I'll be in Oklahoma Dec. 20th - Jan. 11th

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."