SheLovesFossils

Stromatoporoidea is a class of aquatic invertebrates common in the fossil record from the Ordovician through the Devonian. They were especially abundant in the Silurian and Devonian.[1] These invertebrates were important reef-formers throughout the Paleozoic and the Late Mesozoic. The group was previously thought to be related to the corals and placed in the Phylum Cnidaria. They are now classified in the sponges (Phylum Porifera), specifically the sclerosponges. Found this on Merigomish, Big Island Nova Scotia.

post-16049-0-85841600-1413991768_thumb.jpg

post-16049-0-67914500-1413991806_thumb.jpg

post-16049-0-54602200-1413991833_thumb.jpg

1st photo is a cross section, 2nd is the top showing mamelons, 3rd is the underside of the Stromatoporoid

Thanks for posting that. I would have walked right by that without knowing it was a fossil.

You're welcome! :)

nice!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thanks for the posts on stromatolites and stromatoporoids. It has educated me. But it has also confused me. I have some nice specimens of what I have called stromatolites. Now I am not sure if some are actually stromatoporoids. How can a lay person distinguish between the two?

A really superb specimen. Congrats. Thanks for posting it. I don't get to see too many of those.

Thanks and you're welcome! B)

Thanks for the posts on stromatolites and stromatoporoids. It has educated me. But it has also confused me. I have some nice specimens of what I have called stromatolites. Now I am not sure if some are actually stromatoporoids. How can a lay person distinguish between the two?

To be honest, I'm not sure, but you can maybe show a picture? I have a Palaeobiologist friend in Australia who has helped me enormously with my fossil finds. I'm not an expert but I have a good eye to tell if something is a fossil, or of some sort of importance. I can show the picture to my friend if you are willing?

thanks for the offer. I have too many samples to take advantage of someone over them and was hoping someone would be able to give me some logical advice so that I could distinguish between the two with some accuracy. Educated guesses are usually better than just guesses. Maybe I can post a picture or two of my favorite ones. Am busy this month so it may be a little while before posting pics.

Edited by minnbuckeye

If I'm recalling correctly... internal structure is the key to differentiating between the two. Stromatoporoids have vertical pillars (perpendicular to surface) and stromatolites do not.

Thanks for the explanation. Now looking at iluvfossil's post, would this not be a stromatolite, not a stromatoporoid? it seems the layering is parallel to the surface if my orientation is correct.

Thanks for the explanation. Now looking at iluvfossil's post, would this not be a stromatolite, not a stromatoporoid? it seems the layering is parallel to the surface if my orientation is correct.

I should have elaborated. Both are laminated but only the stromatoporoid show vertical pillars internally as pictured in the illustration below (lifted from Google Images)...

post-11596-0-08221600-1414086033_thumb.jpg
As to the ID of the specimen in question... the photo showing internal structure is lacking detail and focus making it difficult to say.
Edited by middevonian

That illustration clears up everything!! Now I just need to cut up my specimens. Thanks for the clarification. Here is an example of what I have termed a stromatolite. if the cut surface changes the call, I will repost.

post-12553-0-16004200-1414108405_thumb.jpg

Interesting... I'd like to see an end cut on one of those last chunks, if it's a stromatolite I would think it should have banding like the first example but it's not obvious from the pics that they do.