Couple From Shark Tooth Hill

caldigger

I HAD to get out there and find something so off to the quarries I went. I didn't find too much different sifting beyond the usual shark teeth and such normally gotten at the quarry. For some reason I decided to bring home a bucket of the hardened silt blocks to dissolve (sometimes you can find some pretty nice teeth hidden within them).

As I was dissolving one large block I got a nice surprise. A very small rodent skull dissolved out and presented it's self for the first time in 15 million years. Many of the bones you find here are so well preserved, they look like a recent death. Not hardened to stone like you would expect fossils to be. I also washed a big piece and discovered what looks like a rib bone (?) with obvious predatory marks on both sides.

More of the skull pictures in the ID topic.

post-12286-0-36287500-1414007532_thumb.jpg

post-12286-0-67935400-1414007598_thumb.jpg

post-12286-0-47096300-1414007686_thumb.jpg

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Oh my! You're right, that rodent does look recent. Are you sure it's mineralized? If it is, that is one awesome find! Cool predation marks too! Thanks for sharing these.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG