Paleo Club Starting Tools

hfxbenoit

I was already planning on having people pair up. I'm way ahead of you.

"Life will find a way"-Ian Malcolm

Just a quick question about using screwdrivers as chisels. will they hold up for about four hours of abuse? I don't know anywhere close by that sells cold chisels, so that's my only option.

Google is your friend... try here:

1. Hornung's True Value
    3811 Peters Mountain Rd, Halifax, PA 17032

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit late on the topic but I suspect the most important and basic item has been missed.

Good comfortable enclosed shoes of some type preferably something that gives some extra ankle support as the sites will all be loose and uneven rock.

Clothes that give sun protection and do not catch on branches. Gloves to protect un-callused hands.

flags or fluro paint are good to mark finds and then extract as a group exercise if tools are limited.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Harbor Freight and the Dollar Store have safety glasses for $1. HF has a wonderful magnifying head lamp (no need for the batteries) for $3.99 that is wonderful for when you get back into the classroom.

I like old backpacks for collecting and carrying out fossils.

If you go to a big box store, don't be afraid to tell them what you doing and ask for a discount and they may even give you the items you want since you are a teacher and this is for the students.

:-D

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

• 5 months later...

I know it's an older thread, but just FYI for anyone looking for them: I just picked up a set of small cold chisels from the hardware department at Wal-Mart.

• 6 months later...

Suggestion: In my experience as a teacher & presenter instead of a field trip (w/ all the legal & safety concerns) go out yourself and collect several large masses of matrix material which the students can work on in the classroom. The field trip is the "final event" of the year. This allows practical demomstrations of tool & personal safety. I know several localities along the Susquehanna River that have been permanently closed to ALL collectors after a few "school groups" visited. Please be carefull!!!

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

• 3 weeks later...

Always ware long pants and layers. Bring pencils for taking notes,journal, an ID book, snacks, water, chisels, hammers and magnifying glasses (optional).

"Welcome...To Jurassic Park!" -Richard Attenborough

A good toolbelt is a must! Usually I will carry several tools and a leather tool belt lets me carry them around and keep my hands free. Also a bumbag (don't know if this is an Aussie term. Those small pouches tourists use that wrap around your hips) for storing your finds. I find military webbing is the better tho. Wraps around your torso and has MANY pockets. I've broken finds before by putting them in the same pocket.

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

A good toolbelt is a must! Usually I will carry several tools and a leather tool belt lets me carry them around and keep my hands free. Also a bumbag (don't know if this is an Aussie term. Those small pouches tourists use that wrap around your hips) for storing your finds. I find military webbing is the better tho. Wraps around your torso and has MANY pockets. I've broken finds before by putting them in the same pocket.

Here in the US of A we call them fanny packs...

Here in the US of A we call them fanny packs...

Hmmm...in Australia "fanny" does not mean bum. Its a term for a part of the female reproductive system....

- Indiana Jones

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that's one of those potentially embarrassing dialectical differences, like 'knock up'.

There are many minefields of this type around the world. Try saying "Estoy Caliente!" (I am hot) in Mexico!

- Indiana Jones

Hmmm...in Australia "fanny" does not mean bum. Its a term for a part of the female reproductive system....

It's pretty funny in our house. My wife is American (Bostonian) I'm British and we have a six year old British born kid who's bilingual (for want of a better word). She has lots of confused friends! It's a bum bag in our house :)

Archived