Sloth?

garyc

This is a Brazos River pleistocene find. When I first saw it, I thought it was a horse astragalus. But the more I search, it is looking like a sloth knuckle to me. I am still not sure. Anyone?

post-5020-0-36503000-1414072746_thumb.jpg

post-5020-0-96891800-1414072751_thumb.jpg

post-5020-0-75119300-1414072757_thumb.jpg

post-5020-0-04770600-1414072764_thumb.jpg

Looks more like a weathered horse astragalus. I believe a comparable sloth bone would be considerably larger than 4 inches. Right size for horse though.

That's what I thought at first. But, look at the bottom where it would articulate with a calcaneum. Here's a pic side by side with another horse astragalus.

post-5020-0-67813100-1414083704_thumb.jpg

Edited by garyc

I can't say for sure, Harry. I think it looks most like the bone 3rd row from the bottom, 2nd from the right in your drawings. It's hard to compare what I have in hand to 2 dimensional pics. I will add a few more pics of this bone with other horse astragali that I have to show why I really don't think this one is horse.

You can see how the base of the bone in question protrudes out to the right. There is some cancellous bone showing on the opposite side, so I think it would protrude to the left as well. The base of the horse astragali ends with the ridges. Also, the base of the bone in question seems pretty smooth and slightly concave; compared to the horse astragali which have flatter bases with grooves where they articulate with the calcaneum.

post-5020-0-75386900-1414092010_thumb.jpg

post-5020-0-95034400-1414092016_thumb.jpg

post-5020-0-74868800-1414092025_thumb.jpg

I can't say for sure, Harry. I think it looks most like the bone 3rd row from the bottom, 2nd from the right in your drawings. It's hard to compare what I have in hand to 2 dimensional pics. I will add a few more pics of this bone with other horse astragali that I have to show why I really don't think this one is horse.

Gary . . . The best way to photograph bones is at right angles to the front, back, sides, and ends. In this case, you may have some challenge to figure out these aspects of the bone.

Frankly, I don't think you're gonna' be able to make this a sloth bone, at least, not a toe bone. The bone you selected as resembling yours -- a proximal phalanx -- is more like a concave/convex cap or like a spacer between the larger bones. I don't see a resemblance.

post-42-0-36914800-1414102927_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I know the last pics were at weird angles. I was trying to show the concavity on the bottom of the bone and that angle seemed to show it best. I agree it does not match any of the sloth bones you showed. I am at a loss. The top side sure looks like an astragalus, but I can't imagine how the bottom side would attach to any calcaneum I've seen.

Gary, I sent your pictures to the sloth expert. We see what he says.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Gary, I've found small Hipparion teeth on the Brazos a good 10 miles or so down river from Richardson so Pliocene maybe Miocene isn't out of the question.

Darrow

I think I may have solved my puzzle. Please weigh in with any disagreement, or hopefully, agreement. I do believe now this is a horse astragalus that is fused to the navicular and cuneiform bone and a piece of the calcaneum. I did consider miocene/pliocene as Darrow suggested, but I think the size would suggest equus. This thing is so mineralized and fused to the point there is no appearance that it is more than one bone. It must be pretty old.... I am still confused by the smooth concave surface on the bottom. Please correct me if anything needs correcting.

Edited by garyc

No, I'm not buying a perissodactyl astragalus. The trochlea are lined up straight fore and aft, and all perissodactyl astragali have the trochlea at an oblique angle approaching 45 degrees.

I think I may have solved my puzzle. Please weigh in with any disagreement, or hopefully, agreement. I do believe now this is a horse astragalus that is fused to the navicular and cuneiform bone and a piece of the calcaneum. I did consider miocene/pliocene as Darrow suggested, but I think the size would suggest equus. This thing is so mineralized and fused to the point there is no appearance that it is more than one bone. It must be pretty old.... I am still confused by the smooth concave surface on the bottom. Please correct me if anything needs correcting.

I can't see what you are suggesting. See if these images help:

post-42-0-94584600-1414209743_thumb.jpg post-42-0-57284800-1414209707_thumb.jpg

post-42-0-17225300-1414209667_thumb.jpg post-42-0-27630700-1414209766_thumb.jpg

What seest thou else

For those of you who have Frank Kocsis' Vertebrate Fossils: A Neophyte's Guide, look at the metacarpal on the bottom right of page 58 and tell me if you think that is a match. I wish I could see it at other angles.

That image on pp. 58 is of the distal end of a sloth metapodial. Look on pp. 53 for lateral views.

post-42-0-94599400-1414366091_thumb.jpg

Each of these metapodials has a different morphology, particularly the facets on the proximal ends. Of all the metapodials at hand, this one seems to most resemble your find:

post-42-0-07191300-1414365975_thumb.jpg

What seest thou else

Harry, the last 2 pics seem really close. I do think it is a sloth metapodial.

Rich, any word from your sloth expert?

Yes, Gary. It is a third metatarsal of Megalonyx - it may be a right.

Rich

Edited by RichW9090

Cool! Mystery solved.

Congrats Gary on the Sloth piece!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG