Porpoise Tooth?

Gatorman

Here's a tooth I found in Three Lakes Creek in Gainesville Miocene deposits, I think its a porpoise tooth but I'm not positive. Can anyone tell me for sure?

post-1-1198716651_thumb.jpg

Here's a tooth I found in Three Lakes Creek in Gainesville Miocene deposits, I think its a porpoise tooth but I'm not positive. Can anyone tell me for sure?

Anson, this image is out of focus like the other, the "sawfish rostral tooth." Whale teeth have "crinkley" enamel on their teeth. The dentin root tends to delaminate, layer by layer like an onion. There are some small toothed whales which have curved teeth like yours.

-------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Do you think booth these teeth are from the same animal? They were both found in the same area.

Even if they were from the same species, it is improbable they are from the same individual, Anson.

If you are asking if they are from the same species, they don't resemble one another to my eye. There is a handful of species of these little whales in the Miocene.

I've always prized these little teeth; they are hard to find.

---------Harry Pristis

post-42-1198887944_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

• 5 weeks later...

Anson,

There are a myriad of different types of toothed whales in the Miocene, and if it is very small (only 3-4mm), then it could be from a Pontoporiid (river dolphin), which are common in late Miocene and early Pliocene rock units on the east coast. River dolphins have really recurved crowns like that, usually not seen in Delphinids.

If its more like middle Miocene, then its possibly Pontoporiid, but more likely from a kentriodontid (proto-dolphin/porpoise).

Bobby