Impression Of A Crinoid Stem?

kennedyskorner

While researching the links that all of you have posted to help me in my earlier posts, I came across pictures of Crinoid stems and a bell went off that I have seen something similar to that in our collection recently. After looking, and digging and looking again.. I found it.

Is this a Crinoid stem impression? Its approx. 2 1/4 " long and 1/4" wide - Also from Lawrence county, Missouri.

post-16748-0-17643300-1414204984_thumb.jpg

post-16748-0-55299900-1414205137_thumb.jpg

"Don't let the world steal your smile, instead, use your smile - to steal the world."

Yes, it is an imprint, and you can also call it a "mold". The actual fossil is gone, but the matrix has a very good mold of what it was. They are highly collectible, as much as the fossil itself because it shows a lot of features of the original fossil.

Here's a photo of a mold of a fossil plant stem. The plant is gone, but the impression or mold remains very clearly.

post-16101-0-28220900-1414324738_thumb.jpg

Sometimes a mold is formed because the actual fossil fell out, but sometimes you get a mold when the fossil dissolves away just leaving a hole where the fossil used to be.

If a mold is formed and then becomes filed with sediment or mineral, then you end up with a cast.

http://www.google.com/images?q=fossil+cast+and+mold&btnG=Search&hl=en&gbv=1

Edited by tmaier
  • I found this Informative 1

Yes, it is an imprint, and you can also call it a "mold". The actual fossil is gone, but the matrix has a very good mold of what it was. They are highly collectible, as much as the fossil itself because it shows a lot of features of the original fossil.

Here's a photo of a mold of a fossil plant stem. The plant is gone, but the impression or mold remains very clearly.

attachicon.gifCALAMIT1.JPG

Sometimes a mold is formed because the actual fossil fell out, but sometimes you get a mold when the fossil dissolves away just leaving a hole where the fossil used to be.

If a mold is formed and then becomes filed with sediment or mineral, then you end up with a cast.

http://www.google.com/images?q=fossil+cast+and+mold&btnG=Search&hl=en&gbv=1

Thank you for the awesome info once again :D I have quite a few imprints in our collection that I would need to try to identify (once I get them all sorted out). It's a slow process but getting it done. If I get confused I know where to go with them ;)

"Don't let the world steal your smile, instead, use your smile - to steal the world."