LanceH

What Can Photoshop Do For You?

Roz

The black background makes a huge difference for the better.

rejd

Nice job. I do like the black background as well.

Triceratops

Nicw work. How did you stick the last one back together?

ZiggieCie

Great lead-in Lance, Photoshop full edition is a great program but expensive and over-kill for many of our members. Photoshop Elements is a better buy ($50 to $90 US) and does all of the editing we would need for our Fossil and most other photo work. I have been using it for years and through many versions. I have run almost all of my photos through PS Elements and I have 16,000 on my computer right now, (yes I do keep them backed up).

The program has many functions but I use about 6 or 7 most of the time. I will use the leveler to square up a photo. Than Crop, to size it to the important features. Next, Ctrl. L, brings up the levels adjuster, with this you can adjust the light levels, brightness, and contrast. Next I go to the sharpening control called an un-sharp mask, (who knows why)? but it does a very good job of bringing the details of your fossil into a sharp focus. I also like the magnifier function for zooooming in on a fossil to see the very small details, almost down to the pixel level.

You can add text, remove blemishes background distractions and all kinds of other functions as you learn the program.

Photoshop has just come out with version 13 of Elements that is optimized for the 64bit computers many of us now have and you can get it FREE for a 30 day trial (no card # needed) at their web site; http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop_elements&loc=us

Hope this helps, Ziggie

gwbh

I used Photoshop to do some color samples from a "blue" meg tooth I found, to try and better illustrate the blues that seem to be more visible when viewing in person over a computer screen.

post-5100-0-65023500-1417543266_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwbh

Auspex

Letting nature shine through: well done!

UtahFossilHunter

Went from this post-15927-0-85475200-1417748466_thumb.jpg to this post-15927-0-27273600-1417748521_thumb.jpg with a couple programs similar to photoshop. I was trying to make it seem as if the fish was engraved on gold. Did it work?

xonenine

i had to try it too, very fun :)

post-4577-0-86255700-1417826412_thumb.jpg

UtahFossilHunter

i had to try it too, very fun :)

Yours looks even better nice job! :)

xonenine

i'm afraid it was a bit of fast and sloppy work, but it is always exciting to try Photoshop techniques. One great thing about PS is the endless supply of Plug-ins, filters, and presets. Many are free, and speed up the learning process quite a bit - these Plug ins and filters "create" the photo effects for the user, where one can adjust them, and see which tools are being used in PS to create the effects.

As Ziggie said, there are Auto Adjustments like Auto Color, Auto Contrast, the most important Unsharp Mask, and hundreds more within Photoshop itself. Also, most of the effects can be faded after application, but only after the initial application of the effect. A search for Free Photoshop plugins is well worth a few hours downloading and learning.

Of course, there are also 1000s of free Photoshop tutorials, both written and video :)

Missourian

I like Photoshop.

post-6808-0-16090700-1417899591_thumb.jpg

xonenine

although I shun the phone camera for the most part, I find myself using it more and more. There are numerous Apps for the android phones that also offer photo correction/editing and effects.Most phones will benefit from some upgraded camera and editing software.

Photoshop has a light version for phones, as do many vendors. I personally like Camera 720.

Adobe Photoshop, and numerous other Editing Apps for Android

Camera 720 Android

Edited by xonenine

UtahFossilHunter

I like Photoshop.

attachicon.gifSat-fossil.jpg

Can I buy a house there? :)

UtahFossilHunter

although I shun the phone camera for the most part, I find myself using it more and more. There are numerous Apps for the android phones that also offer photo correction/editing and effects.Most phones will benefit from some upgraded camera and editing software.

Photoshop has a light version for phones, as do many vendors. I personally like Camera 720.

Adobe Photoshop, and numerous other Editing Apps for Android

Camera 720 Android

Camera 720 is also available for the iOS devices in the App Store.

Roanoker

I had used Photoshop for years, but that version would not work on my new laptop. I took an online course in Photoshop for $99 so I would qualify as a student. I was thereby allowed to purchase the full, new Photoshop for $200 rather than the retailed $1000. I assume that teachers and students are still able to get the 80% discount.

Foozil

Recommending any 'cheaper mac' apps? That do the same thing?

xonenine

apparently gimp ver2.82 and above work "natively" on mac OS X. I have not tested this :)

gwbh

I had used Photoshop for years, but that version would not work on my new laptop. I took an online course in Photoshop for $99 so I would qualify as a student. I was thereby allowed to purchase the full, new Photoshop for $200 rather than the retailed $1000. I assume that teachers and students are still able to get the 80% discount.

I'm currently in college, I paid $300 earlier this year for the student version of Photoshop CS6, and apparently it was one of the last physical copies to be sold in stores. A few weeks after I got my copy a friend of mine tried to go to best buy and purchase it, (where I got mine) only to find they have been pulled from the shelf. You now must purchase the creative cloud suite for around $20 dollars a month for students, you dont get a CD or any physical copy of the program. I think you can get just photoshop for around $10 a month, but its still through the CC.

xonenine

I'm currently in college, I paid $300 earlier this year for the student version of Photoshop CS6, and apparently it was one of the last physical copies to be sold in stores. A few weeks after I got my copy a friend of mine tried to go to best buy and purchase it, (where I got mine) only to find they have been pulled from the shelf. You now must purchase the creative cloud suite for around $20 dollars a month for students, you dont get a CD or any physical copy of the program. I think you can get just photoshop for around $10 a month, but its still through the CC.

i was very disappointed to see that cloud option also, and as far as I know from working for a few printers and newspapers is that it is legal to buy used copies of Photoshop previous versions, Quark, etc, and they work fine on most PCs. I am only on Photoshop CS, for example. Jasc PSP software is a very desirable alternative with a similar user interface also

Edited by xonenine

Roanoker

Thank you for sharing this sad information, gwbh. And thank you, xonenine, for your more heartening news. However, I bet if you ever purchase a new computer, the older versions of Photoshop won't work. That's what happened to me when I got a new Mac and had to become a student so I could pay only $200 for CS5. Adobe is clever. They know you won't be a student forever. You will eventually have to pay the higher price per month, unless you become a teacher. I think many companies and governments would like for you to do everything in the cloud, even to the extinction of personal hard drives. I could go on, but I won't.

faunafarm

A litttle word of caution here. Tried to download "GIMPSHOP", my anti-virus program came up with a warning, possible trojan. Did a quick Google search. Appears to be a real threat with this program. Think I will play it safe and get the real deal...PS 13.

xonenine

thanks I have deleted that link.

GIMPSHOP.com dies have a virus, it is a third party site.

gimp.org is the actual website, and I have downloaded it to check :)

GIMPSHOP link

sorry for any scares... :o