The Sc And Ga Beach Walk.

Brett Breakin' Rocks

Well,

I'm new to the area and have some time free. I wanted to look for a few sharks teeth and decided the best place to start was at the local beaches. No need to try too hard to find a spot since I have the whole coastline to choose from.

My first stop was Edisto Island, SC and the beaches there are a tumble of shells, essentially a needle in a haystack. Mostly I came up empty. I did find a few small pieces of bone, a ray crusher plate piece ... and what I think are turtle scutes ?

PoqIjre.jpg

OgZHi2M.jpg

Headed out the next day to Tybee Island which is a bit closer. And started picking up sharks teeth in the first 20 minutes. Nothing to scream home about. A few bones, well parts of bones, as well. It was relaxing on the whole and that's exactly what I needed.

BJ1nTLQ.jpg

hsolEuB.jpg

The ones on the right I assume are well worn verts of some sort ? Possible a turtle again ... they are blurry and I apologize for the lack of scale. The bone on the left (which is also probably a turtle scute partial) is about 1 inch.

Cheers,

Brett

Edited by Brett Breakin' Rocks

Cool finds!

Yes, most of them look like turtle shell frags.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

So, I went back for a second day .. mainly to relax after teaching. Found more shell fragments, what looks like a stingray spine, possible claw tip (its bone), another ray partial crusher plate, and a small vert that was interesting. Not sure what that is from, it looks similar to the bones I used to fiddle with that belonged to Opossum or a Armadillo. Maybe it's just been worn down by the ocean, it has a very flat aspect to it...

GjBscAu.jpg

Nice finds, It looks like there's a fish spine next to the stingray spine as well :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!