Petrified Wood Rocks

tracer

we came, we saw, we left. below is a picture of what we left.

post-488-0-44803300-1304881960_thumb.jpg

the goal here, on this creek in whatever county we were in, which i didn't bother to look up, was to find big ole pieces of petrified wood, wash them in the creek, pose them provocatively, take a picture, and then leave. this is harder than it sounds, because you're working just to take a picture, and also when you wet the wood, the beautiful grain structure looks back longingly at you going, "take me home - take me home". i snap back at the wood, "no! you stay right here until somebody comes along with a stronger back and less snarge in his yard!"

somebody will take it. they always do.

yes, they were really rocks. there's quite a bit of petrified wood in texas that looks exactly like regular wood. it's really cool.

And where was that again? I still have plenty of room in my back yard. I haven't even filled the front up yet!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I like that piece at the top of the pic. I wouldn't have been able to resist the call of the wood. My yard still has some room. I'm going collecting at the end of the month to a place where, if my back and heart can hold out, I will get the biggest pieces that I can possibly carry. :wacko: I can hear them calling me now.

I hear ya!

I found a 200 pounder today.

After digging it out to make sure there wasn't something really unique about it (there wasn't) I stood it up in the middle of the creek bed like a tomb stone and headed out. I suppose next time I should take a camera...

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"