Late Ordovician Decorah Shale Minnesota Mystery

Tetradium

Found in lily dale earlier this year at first I thought it was a cephalopod but it seem pretty misshaped that rock pressure couldn't account for the odd shape. Almost look like one eye and a shallow socket for another and on the back a jumble of rust colored oval rust colored features. post-16824-0-08131200-1414624031_thumb.jpgpost-16824-0-05918000-1414624054_thumb.jpg

The weird thing is the plates didn't continue over to the back of the fossil and you can see a much smaller plate making the point of the front.

Pics are too blurry to make anything out.

Sorry.
Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

By the way piranha I found a trilobite spine 1 1/2 inch in platteville pictures turned out to be blurry

I'm not an ipad/cellphone camera user but from what I can glean, pics are often blurry because you're holding the object too close. Back it off a little and see if it helps. You may have to crop the photo but that's better than a blurry photo. That and use full sunlight if possible.

I think this is sea scorpion which would be a huge rarity for Minnesota it look more and more like if you take a lobster head then super sized it

post-16824-0-06155800-1414710727_thumb.jpg

post-16824-0-07362500-1414710745_thumb.jpg

post-16824-0-76413700-1414710802_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The second picture you can see a sort of circular sunken area thou I don't know if the ridge in the middle means anything. The possible eye is shaped kinda like what you see on a fly. The orange stuff on back of piece look similar to what you see in a crab like membranes used to breath

The stuff on back look like they collapsed when the sea scorpion died and is in no order darker orange in middle vein lighter orange outward like you see on boston fern leaf or honey locust leaflet

I think this is sea scorpion...

Sorry, i don't see it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Again, the picture quality is such that I can't make out any distinguishing features.

Sorry.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I do not see a Eurypterid fossil here. Eurypterids usually fossilize in a flattened state. I've never seen one fossilized in a "enrolled" manner.

Like the others have said, your pics are just too blurry for any conclusive examination of you piece. Hopefully you can find a way to better your pics.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

It might be a chert nodule. They can take on weird blobby shapes like that and are commonly found in limestone (which is what the white stuff probably is).

http://www.google.com/images?q=chert+nodule&btnG=Search&hl=en&gbv=1

Have you ever prepped out or cleaned up a fossil before? You might be able to pull out more features.

Also the photos are very blurry.

Topic is now closed. I won't look at it anymore.

:(

How 'bout "Sorry for the image quality; thanks for looking anyhow." ?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Don't give up that easy. We like a good mystery here. We just can't help crack the case if the only evidence is obscured or tampered with. ;)

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

• 6 years later...

Sorry for getting upset all those years ago. I took a look yesterday and decided for sure its just a worn unidentified cephalopod. Upside down brachiopod for the "nose" and the cast of a snail shell (probably sinuites) for the "eye". Glue was to attach it to the bottom of my display, now used for only broken specimens as it is very difficult to removes. 

100_9105.JPG

100_9106.JPG

100_9107.JPG