Trip To The Pleistocene Of S.c.

old bones

Great pics as usual Julianna! That crab material under magnification looks beautiful.

And yes, i would say your mystery spiral is a worn coprolite.

Good stuff you guys!

Thanks Charlie :) It was a blast. I love the crab bits. It's hard to believe that they tumble around in the surf hollow as they are, and don't get crushed completely. We were hoping that the spiral thing was a coprolite. Mum remarked when we were hunting, that it was odd we don't find coprolites as we are used to finding them in matrix.

Julianna

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

• 4 weeks later...

Ahh, I just discovered this post, Julianna! It was nice to run into you and "Ancient Bones" on your trip to Edisto! I enjoyed talking to you two very much. :)

Some notes on your finds, since I'm accustomed to Edisto material...

• "Mystery spiral" is phosphate that "bands" quite frequently down here. I have found a lot of this material (in tidal creeks, too) and have seen no evidence of it being coprolitic, despite all efforts to make it so!
  • Vertebrae "A & B" in Post #4 are from fish. B is possibly from a fish in the Diodontidae family.
  • Your Plinthicus stenodon is most likely Miocene in age since our Late Pleistocene beds overlie Miocene material.
  • "Odd bone #1" appears to be rock that washes up on our beaches. "Odd bone #2" is definitely some type of fish material, based on the fingerprint-like lines that run along the bone. Possibly bowfin.

Again, it was a pleasure meeting you two, and I hope to see you out on our beaches next year!

TheAshBee

Ahh, I just discovered this post, Julianna! It was nice to run into you and "Ancient Bones" on your trip to Edisto! I enjoyed talking to you two very much. :)

Some notes on your finds, since I'm accustomed to Edisto material...

• "Mystery spiral" is phosphate that "bands" quite frequently down here. I have found a lot of this material (in tidal creeks, too) and have seen no evidence of it being coprolitic, despite all efforts to make it so!
  • Vertebrae "A & B" in Post #4 are from fish. B is possibly from a fish in the Diodontidae family.
  • Your Plinthicus stenodon is most likely Miocene in age since our Late Pleistocene beds overlie Miocene material.
  • "Odd bone #1" appears to be rock that washes up on our beaches. "Odd bone #2" is definitely some type of fish material, based on the fingerprint-like lines that run along the bone. Possibly bowfin.

Again, it was a pleasure meeting you two, and I hope to see you out on our beaches next year!

TheAshBee

Hey there TheAshbee! I'm glad you found our trip report. Thanks for your input on the IDs. Bummer about the 'coprolite'. We will keep hunting.

We will look you up on our trip next year! :)

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Good to hear from you TheAshBee and thank you for the helpful remarks. It was a fun trip and so nice to meet you.

' Keep calm and carry on fossiling '

Hey Julianna, Lots of variety there! Very much like the stuff we are fortunate to bring home down here. Thanks for showing us. Regards, Chris