Are Triceratops Frill Fossils Considered 'dinosaur Skin'?

-Andy-

I've always wanted to buy a piece of dinosaur skin. I often see hadrosaur skin or Edmontosaurus skin from USA online.

These pieces often come in sizes of less than 2" for about 100 USD, and larger pieces 5" plus can go for 1000 USD.

I find the price prohibitive.

Instead, I am looking to buy a nice solid piece of triceratops frill. I saw some pictures, and was surprised to see the veins and bumps and patterns on them.

Are triceratops frill fossils considered dinosaur skin as well?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Triceratops frill is bone, but it is really cool with all the textures and vein grooves running through it!

As said, the frills are bone, to which the skin was closely adhered; hence the heavy vascularization.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

aggreed... frill is bone, not skin. rill bits are amongst the most common fossils in the Lance/Hell Creek Fms. Skin is out there, but it is rare... hence the price. Rare and in demand. Frill is still cool stuff.

Frill is pretty cool. I did find my first piece of frill this summer and was pretty excited. Skin would be cool to find as well but as stated it is pretty rare. Also if I did find skin it would be donated to the museum as it would be scientifically valuable.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

Thanks for the info guys!

A little miffed to learn its not true dino skin, but its still a cool fossil nonetheless.

Am now awaiting my trikes frill in the mail.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

No problem. please make sure to post some pics of the frill piece once you get it. Looking forward to seeing it.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

• 3 weeks later...

Here it is!

post-4888-0-86223600-1416742324_thumb.jpg

post-4888-0-64563800-1416742328_thumb.jpg

Yup... ceratopsian frill. Some folks argue that you can't really call it Triceratops because there are two ceratopsians found in the same beds (hell Creek and Lance Fm's, etc).. Triceratops and Torvosaurus. Others wil tell you that the two genera are all one. I still tend to call them Triceratops...