Grand Isle, Vermont Trilobite

Cluros

Goodness! What a pretty bug! I'll reiterate what Auspex said - I have never associated Vermont with Fossils. I had no idea stuff this nice came from way up there!

Thanks a bunch for sharing!

Gabe

I like crinoids......

Nice bug , nice prep....... very sorry to see feathers ruffled .... we are all good people... with a common interest ....... lifes too short

• 7 years later...

Hi All,

Can anyone help with fossil finding advice or point me in the right direction for learning?  We are getting skunked.

My 14 year old son and I are currently in a fossil hunting get away in Grand Isle, VT.  We are complete neophytes.  And have spent about six hours and have found zero fossils- lake shore, road cuts, gravel quarry, looking for some places we could never find, etc.  I’m not sure what we are doing wrong.  I loved Cluros’ Grand Isle Trillobite and found it inspiring.

I spent hours researching sites in VT (found fossilspot.com very helpful).  We did go to the two Isle la Motte preserves and found fossils there, but nowhere else.  We’ve mostly been seeing black layered stone (shale I think?) where we have been looking.

If anyone has the chance to help please send a private message.  I would greatly appreciate it as we could sure use it.

We plan to go again today (Wed 8/24/22) for most of the day from 11a-4p and I really don’t want to keep striking out.

Thank you.

Best,

Kenny Rudd

Please take out your phone number. The Forum has a good working private messaging system to give you the info that you request. Look for letter icon to access PM system.

Join a local paleontology or rock and mineral society to help you find good hunting areas. They usually know lots of places that are not advertised on the internet.

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Phone numbers removed.  Please use the PM system.  Thanks. 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• 3 months later...
On 11/3/2014 at 10:49 AM, Cluros said:

Just to clarify. Not all of Vermont is metamorphic. On the western fringe of the State there are Cambrian and Ordovician deposits. There is even a small section of Silurian material south of where I live. Attached is a Cambrian Agnostid that I collected from a formation listed as being void of fossils. Much more research is needed in our State.

post-9139-0-96897900-1415029729_thumb.jpg

This is incredible. What formation, if I may ask? 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe