Another Fossil From Oceanside Ca...

Remlab

Ten feet from last fossil (San Mateo Formation), but looks totally unrelated. This continues into cliff. Did not have the correct tools for retrieving the rest. Will go back at a later date.

post-16861-0-06608000-1415219786_thumb.jpg

post-16861-0-37812700-1415219815_thumb.jpg

post-16861-0-47520800-1415219863_thumb.jpg

Probably a baleen whale rib (guessing it's about 3" across from the size of the metal supports on your table). If you happen to find something that is more complete than this (e.g. a skull or jaw), i would advise against collecting it in a similar fashion as the bone did not appear to fare well here.

Near the surface, the fossil was in pieces. The further into the cliff I dig, the more integrity it has. Probably impossible to get the rest out safely without excavating the entire 30 foot high cliff.

After doing a search on "Baleen whale vertebrae", and examining the first fossil further, I think you hit the nail on the head. The Smooth, concave, vertebral body with a relatively rough outer edge are clearly identifiable, the facets are obviously missing, and the pedicle and lamina appear to be partially crushed and HIGHLY degraded(The hole is still there, though). It also seems to be the right size for a Baleen. The rib found near it would also make sense. Thanks! I will dig a little further and see what I find. If it looks substantial, I'll call someone who actually knows what they're doing.

Edited by Remlab

Actually, upon further examination, the "hole" is not still there. It looks as if a broken facet created an "arch" in the specimen.

Just spoke to Thomas Demere from the San Diego natural history museum. It is a Baleen. He knows this for a fact because he happened to partially excavated the same exact fossil, two years ago at the same "hidden" location. He also thinks it is complete, but too difficult and dangerous to excavate further. At least he got a good laugh out of me finding it too. What are the odds of that! Oh well..

Edited by Remlab

Boesse

That was an extraordinary guess! Amazing!

Seth

Well, this is Bobbie's field. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Auspex

Yeah, After that, out of curiosity, I looked at his resume. But you have to admit, it was, for all intents and purposes, the flimsiest of evidence..

Great to hear! If you speak to Tom again, please tell him I say hello and Kia Ora!