I Am Assuming This Is A Type Of Coral? Not Sure About The Other Things...

kennedyskorner

These were all found around Aurora, Missouri. I am sorry I can't give the exact location or more detailed information, as it was just a hobby for all of us to pick them up before we got interested in identifying them.

A type of coral?

post-16748-0-66333800-1415427266_thumb.jpg

post-16748-0-35677200-1415427275_thumb.jpg

post-16748-0-55839300-1415427284_thumb.jpg

This I have no idea, but it interested me.

post-16748-0-37198000-1415427304_thumb.jpg

post-16748-0-16641300-1415427315_thumb.jpg

post-16748-0-75710800-1415427322_thumb.jpg

post-16748-0-57557500-1415427329_thumb.jpg

And even more unusual:

post-16748-0-18844800-1415427360_thumb.jpg

post-16748-0-46812200-1415427397_thumb.jpg

post-16748-0-95246700-1415427406_thumb.jpg

Thank you for any help you can give us. We really appreciate it.

Danielle

"Don't let the world steal your smile, instead, use your smile - to steal the world."

The photos are somewhat fuzzy, so I'm not able to recognize much in the way of features on "no idea but interested", but I'd guess that that's just part of a concretion. "even more unusual" appears to have a piece of either an ammonite or a bivalve at the top left and there is obviously fossil debris within. The coral looks like a coral, but I can't say any more than that to it. All I know is that your area has a lot of exposures of cretaceous sediments, but maybe someone from there might recognize the type of stone and be able to narrow things down a bit more.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

The photos are somewhat fuzzy, so I'm not able to recognize much in the way of features on "no idea but interested", but I'd guess that that's just part of a concretion. "even more unusual" appears to have a piece of either an ammonite or a bivalve at the top left and there is obviously fossil debris within. The coral looks like a coral, but I can't say any more than that to it. All I know is that your area has a lot of exposures of cretaceous sediments, but maybe someone from there might recognize the type of stone and be able to narrow things down a bit more.

Thank you for taking a look :) I should also mention that the piece I thought might be coral is not rough at all. It's really smooth, not quite waxy feeling but almost. I also think that this might have come with us from our move from Summerfield, Florida (Marion County).

I am not sure what to do with the photos I post. When I view this post on my laptop they blow up pretty clear and detailed so I am not sure what to do.. I am lost when it comes to photography, even after reading the extensive information in this forum. :blink:

Your suggestion of a ammonite or bivalve seems logical to me at the moment, thank you for that... after a bit of novice research, I believe I recognized another piece that I have that might be bivalve as well. (I will try to get a photo of that also soon.)

thanks again :)

Regards,

Danielle

"Don't let the world steal your smile, instead, use your smile - to steal the world."

the coral looks Pliocene=Pleistocene

the second one looks mineral

the third one possibly a brachiopod fragment?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 2 weeks later...

the coral looks Pliocene=Pleistocene

the second one looks mineral

the third one possibly a brachiopod fragment?

Thank you herb for your response and expertise I greatly appreciate it. I apologize for taking so long for a reply, internet issues once again :wacko:

Respectfully,

Danielle