Fossil615

Never found a fossil before so please bare with me. Let me know if I have something here or not. Looks like some sort of bug because of the pattern on the backside. Also, I couldn't get a super close shot cause I'm using my iphone to capture the pictures but I could see what looked to be wing like veins or patterns in one part of the fossil.

FossilPhotos104_zpsa5c8985c.jpgFossilPhotos106_zps4d8f1947.jpgFossilPhotos086_zpsa77abd7d.jpgFossilPhotos082_zps4ca544f1.jpg

FossilPhotos089_zps40549655.jpg

Edited by Fossil615

Come on guys help me out. I know it isn't anything amazing but I went through all the trouble of uploading it so please tell me its something more than a rock.

My impression is that it is a weathered section of a cephalopod.

post-423-0-04607300-1415468251_thumb.jpg

The 'segments' being the septa, or chamber walls.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What type of creature is a 'Cephalopod'? My first thought was maybe a beetle or bug of some sort.

Update: Found out what a Cephalopod is. I really think it could be a giant burrowing roach. If you could only see it up close it has little legs incrusted into the side that are barely visible an very worn.

Edited by Fossil615

What type of creature is a 'Cephalopod'? My first thought was maybe a beetle or bug of some sort.

Update: Found out what a Cephalopod is. I really think it could be a giant burrowing roach. If you could only see it up close it has little legs incrusted into the side that are barely visible an very worn.

I can see the suggestive resemblance to some kind of insect, but this is just some of Ma Nature's handiwork.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I would have to agree that it appears to be a semi compressed cephalopod segment, almost Illaenid looking though. Cool find! Illaenids are trilobites.

Are Illaenis or Trilobites uncommon? I found this south-west of nashville TN so if it is a fossile of a Trilobites what kind of age am I looking at here?

You are on the right track asking about the age. Maybe someone will have a link to some good geological maps of your area to determine the range of periods there. Then a look on Wikipedia at the possible choices for the fossil and when they were alive should help. Insects don't have the lines going around at even intervals like that but straight cephalopods do so I agree with the others.

Cephalopod shells quite often become substrate for encrusting corals and bryozoans. It's possible that they could appear to be little legs. I can't see them well enough to say, but it's something to consider.

Well thanks guys! I guess I will keep it an maybe I'll find something else sometime an start a little collection. Long way to go cause I don't even know half the words some of you guys are speaking of. I appreciate the help though. Glad it is most likely not just a rock.

my guess is a section of cephalopod also, probably Ordovician in age depending on where you are in TENN.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Here are two cephalopod fossils brought to me by a friend from Clifton, TN (southwest of Nashville). I have no specific information about where they were found other than the town name.

post-16887-0-14573800-1415791836_thumb.jpg

If those cephalopods were found near Clifton, then they would most likely be Silurian or L.Devonian in age.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks