Another Christmas Eve Hunt

fossil man

this the result of my first hunt in a long time. the summer rains really messed my hunting grounds up. but it was a great hunt lots of good stuff, i found (in my opinion) ~5 perfect teeth witch usually is a smaller number for me also, i found a very large tooth witch is very unusal for me, found a vert, and several types of teeth along with a cork top blue bottle and an old looking marble, and also a piece of coral i believe not use to finding coral at the site though, hope you enjoy the pic.post-137-1198731094_thumb.jpg

Nice haul! :) Where did you find them?

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Looks like someone hit Post Oak Creek in Sherman! So you are the guy that picked up all the good teeth before I got there! Hehehe. I've never seen a coral from there though.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Looks like someone hit Post Oak Creek in Sherman! So you are the guy that picked up all the good teeth before I got there! Hehehe. I've never seen a coral from there though.

what time where you down there, i hit that morning, but i only hit like the first 3 sandbars and i hunted for like hour and a half two hours, so dan you tell me do you thing its coral, i did because it has star shape indentions around it, but in this creek you never know what you will find from bricks to arrow heads (only two have been found since i hunted down there has been about two years. well if your going to be up this way again im me

Yeah, the thing in the lower left of the photo is a scleractinian coral. the genus is probably Septastrea. I can't really tell without being able to see the septal pattern. Also, knowing the formation would help. in the ID.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Yeah, the thing in the lower left of the photo is a scleractinian coral. the genus is probably Septastrea. I can't really tell without being able to see the septal pattern. Also, knowing the formation would help. in the ID.

JKFoam

sweet! thanks for the partial id and conformation, i have never found coral before, i will try to get a better picture for you to hopefully give a positive id

ok jkfoam i got the pic so hopefully you can id the coral for me as for formation, i not very good with those i have ever really found a good geologic map for grayson county if you know of one please pass it along. if this pic wont work let me know and i will see what i can do. thanks

post-137-1198944361_thumb.jpg

Fossil man,

Forget Septastrea for your coral. When I finally realized where Sherman is (north of Dallas and not east Texas like I was thinking) your specimen is probably middle Cretaceous and that eliminates Septastrea as best I remember. After looking through some of my reference books I think you may have the coral Astrocoenia whitneyi.

As for good geological maps of Texas I recommend The Bureau of Economic Geology of Texas They have a series of regional geologic maps that are quite good and available at reasonable prices. Go to www.beg.utex.edu. You want the Geologic Atlas Of Texas series, Sherman Sheet ($6.00) they also have a digital map on a CD.

Hope this all helps.

JKFoam

Fossil man,

Forget Septastrea for your coral. When I finally realized where Sherman is (north of Dallas and not east Texas like I was thinking) your specimen is probably middle Cretaceous and that eliminates Septastrea as best I remember. After looking through some of my reference books I think you may have the coral Astrocoenia whitneyi.

As for good geological maps of Texas I recommend The Bureau of Economic Geology of Texas They have a series of regional geologic maps that are quite good and available at reasonable prices. Go to www.beg.utex.edu. You want the Geologic Atlas Of Texas series, Sherman Sheet ($6.00) they also have a digital map on a CD.

Hope this all helps.

JKFoam

Jkfoam thank you very much for input, i am glad that you were able to id the coral for me, i will check out the web site and see what i can find.

Fossil man

For a reference for the identification of your coral I used "Index fossils of North America",1944, H.W. Shimer and R.R. Shrock, page 115 and Plate 42, fig. 16. Sorry I left that out. Also, as always, if someone examines your fossil in hand and is familiar with the geologic horizon the the fossil came from and they disagree with the identification then you would be wise to disregard my identification in favor of theirs.

JKFoam

ok jkfoam i got the pic so hopefully you can id the coral for me as for formation, i not very good with those i have ever really found a good geologic map for grayson county if you know of one please pass it along. if this pic wont work let me know and i will see what i can do. thanks

I'm currently working on a clean digitized version of the geology around Lake Texoma in preparation for the Dallas Paleo Society's trip there in January. It'll include about the top 1/3 of Grayson county. I'll let ya know when that is finished.

Here's a 150dpi scan of the county for now. Also a PDF of the description booklet.

Grayson County, Texas geo map

Don't you guys wish these formations were huntable everywhere mapped?

I hit the creek on 12/15 at dusk with a buddy. He got a nice Ptychodus whipplei. I didn't find anything. I'm not sure what Kef formation is in that area as the Kef is mapped undivided. I've read about the "fish bed conglomerate", a tooth rich glauconitic horizon, present in that creek and others in the area. The oyster found in POC should help nail down formation. I've plucked one ammonite from the creek but it was pretty worn so I gave it away. Does the creek hold Pleistocene material? I found a beaver tooth there but don't know how old it is.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I'm currently working on a clean digitized version of the geology around Lake Texoma in preparation for the Dallas Paleo Society's trip there in January. It'll include about the top 1/3 of Grayson county. I'll let ya know when that is finished.

Here's a 150dpi scan of the county for now. Also a PDF of the description booklet.

Grayson County, Texas geo map

thanks for the map lance i have been trying to find a map for the grayson co area

Don't you guys wish these formations were huntable everywhere mapped?

I hit the creek on 12/15 at dusk with a buddy. He got a nice Ptychodus whipplei. I didn't find anything. I'm not sure what Kef formation is in that area as the Kef is mapped undivided. I've read about the "fish bed conglomerate", a tooth rich glauconitic horizon, present in that creek and others in the area. The oyster found in POC should help nail down formation. I've plucked one ammonite from the creek but it was pretty worn so I gave it away. Does the creek hold Pleistocene material? I found a beaver tooth there but don't know how old it is.

i have never found any Pleistocene material to my knowledge, i have found one bone fragment but other than that i have only found teeth and shells