Cold Climate Flora Evolution Reference?

fossilized6s

Does anyone know of a good book, pdf or websites that attempts to explain the evolution of cold climate flora (specifically conifers)? I would prefer a good book.

I've been reading bits and pieces of things, but nothing that has answered any of my questions. I've noticed tons of material about warm climate flora, but almost nothing on cold climate flora.

Conifers are a essential to life in the present time and they produce a third of the Earth's oxygen, and they have evolved to be the largest, tallest and oldest living flora. Why? What did cones evlove from (what part of the plant)? Sap, why? I have countless questions.....haha

Thanks, Charlie

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

This may paint a bigger picture than you had in mind, but you should give it a look:

LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks Chas, i appreciate it. Have you read this?

$64.......eek! It's going on my Christmas list. ;)

It seems like it will answer a few of my questions.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Bryophytes are a much older group then conifers.

I suspect that conifers are found in cold climates because flowering plants don't grow well there. Possibly because angiosperms that are adapted to cold weather are deciduous, and the growing season is too short for them to out-grow conifers, which do photosynthesis year around?

Conifers evolved during Pangea, and had to deal with dry conditions, leading to leaves shaped like needles to reduce water loss. I suspect this later allowed them to colonize cold areas. This also allows them to be the dominant trees in our southern forests where rocky thin soil doesn't have enough water for angiosperms.

Conifers are gymnosperms, and not all of them have needles, particularly ginkos. There is another weird group that is found in deserts, can't think of the name.......maybe Mormon plants?

I took botany many years ago, when plants weren't cool. Wish I had the time to take it again. Please feel free to correct anything I have stated in error.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Thanks Brent for the info, much appreciated. Do you know of any good books that go into detail on this matter?

~Charlie~

Thanks Brent for the info, much appreciated. Do you know of any good books that go into detail on this matter?

No, nothing in particular. A good general botany book used by any college would help. Many groups of primitive plants are still alive today, giving much insight into how and why they differ. Try contacting a professor who specializes in paleobotany, see if he/she has any recommendations, then hit Amazon for used versions.

Good luck, a most interesting endeavor.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Archived