I Purchased Some Mystery Petrified Wood Today

Phillyrockhound

Here goes 4 images of pet wood that was saved from a demolished gas stations wall along the nj shore about 10 yrs ago. I am actively trying to contact the local historical society for any leads that they may have. In the meantime, I am curious about what ideas others have. Circle cliffs Utah was a guess from a buddy of mine. Lots of Druze and small crystals on these specimen. I'd love to hear any thoughts and can get close ups if needed. Thanks!!!

post-16928-0-68933200-1416012119_thumb.jpg

post-16928-0-75810700-1416012133_thumb.jpg

post-16928-0-86990600-1416012148_thumb.jpg

post-16928-0-16543300-1416012176_thumb.jpg

It's a long way from Philly but maybe this author knows something about where the material was mined on the kind of scale needed for the builders of those old "stone tree houses".

www.rockstonepress.com

Edited by BobWill

Every time I see pieces like that I am tempted to buy...but where to put such large items? They look like beautiful pieces...exhibit them proudly. Thanks for sharing.

• I found this Informative 1

I hear ya just plain petrified! I bought a total of around 1000 lbs! The tail end of my Toyota Tacoma was riding Super low from the NJ shore all the way back to philadelphia. I started getting a little uncomfortable coming through the pine barrens. It's def earned its name!

Just out of curiosity, what is uncomfortable about Pine Barrens?

I would agree that the wood looks like that found in the southwestern United States.

post-1148-0-95652400-1416241709_thumb.jpg

This is a piece of wood I collected in east central Montana

Jim

I hear ya just plain petrified! I bought a total of around 1000 lbs! The tail end of my Toyota Tacoma was riding Super low from the NJ shore all the way back to philadelphia. I started getting a little uncomfortable coming through the pine barrens. It's def earned its name!

Yeah, what Jim said... what is so uncomfortable about the Pine Barrens. This is a curious statement.

Yeah, what Jim said... what is so uncomfortable about the Pine Barrens. This is a curious statement.

Being a fellow Toyota Tacoma owner, I'm going to guess that the soft sand of the barrens with 1000 pounds in the bed makes one think they might sink in and need a tow out.

Edited by tmaier

Just out of curiosity, what is uncomfortable about Pine Barrens?...

Jim

It's a desolate place to break down...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

My comment on the pine barrens is based on the lack of service stations and poor cell The shoulders on the road are often sand and I do not have 4 wheel drive if I get stuck. But my biggest concern is getting mauled by the jersey devil! It's just frightening!!!

Jim, I'm having trouble making out your photo. I think I'm looking at a piece of bog wood with some agate running through. I'd imagine that would be a beast to polish! Although I really do love how gnarly it is in its natural state (reminds me of old hands that had seen a lot of work)

Okay, Jersey Devil explains it all, I'd be looking over my shoulder too :D, I get the same scary feeling when I see JPC in the wilds of wyoming

I'll see if I can find some other photos of wood.

Edited by old dead things

JPC is a forum member and in resident paleontologist at the Tate Museum in Casper and a scary guy. :o

I didn't really have to hunt very hard to find my wood in Montana. The dry land rancher had piled it up over the years, but it is still fun to look through it and find the special pieces that I want. I don't have any individual piece pictures at this time.

post-1148-0-85023300-1416249700_thumb.jpg

post-1148-0-96205700-1416249733_thumb.jpg

post-1148-0-26343900-1416249746_thumb.jpg

post-1148-0-65542300-1416250006_thumb.jpg

JPC

jpc is the other guy who asked what was so scary about the pine barrens. Old Dead Things and I live in Wyoming... also a scary place to break down. Did I ever tell you guys about the time a friend and I hiked out 22 miles under the light of a full moon after puncturing my oil pan. Lack of cell service and no gas stations... that's the way we do it out here.

That must have been a blast to pick around in!! The only thing I have dug in Montana has been amythest. But once I crossed into North Dakota there was pet wood everywhere!!!

My turn to be curious! Who is JPC?

jpc is the other guy (scary-looking) who was wondering why the Pine Barrens is a scary place, sez jpc. Jim (old dead thongs) and I live in Wyoming... we regularly go where there is no cell service and the nearest gas station is 50 miles away... half of that on dirt roads.

Sounds like a lot of good adventures to be had in Wyoming! I fell in love with Yellowstone but have not had the pleasure of any back country digging trips in your state... Yet!

jpc is the other guy who asked what was so scary about the pine barrens. Old Dead Things and I live in Wyoming... also a scary place to break down. Did I ever tell you guys about the time a friend and I hiked out 22 miles under the light of a full moon after puncturing my oil pan. Lack of cell service and no gas stations... that's the way we do it out here.

:-)

-Lyall

Back in the 1970's I was driving a Suzuki motorcycle across the Dakotas to go exploring in the Rocky Mnts I blew a flat in the middle of nowhere, on the freeway, on a Sunday night. As the sun was going down I decided it would be best to go back to the last overpass and make camp and figure it out in the morning. I was really up a creek. But there at the top of the ramp was the biggest Suzuki dealer I had ever seen, and they were open. I thought I was dreaming. I wheeled my bike over there and the guy said he could have it fixed in a half hour. I asked him what he was doing out there in the middle of nowhere, and he said there were three town in a 50 miles radius and each town was too small to support a large dealership, so he put his business smack in the middle, and draws off all three towns.

For you people who live in more populated areas, this probably doesn't sound so amazing, but when you come from remote areas like that, finding such a business that is open at 7 o'clock on a Sunday and the nearest farm house is 5 miles away is just beyond belief.

Ah, you guys! Never let your jet boat break down on the wrong side of the river in Northern Alberta...I guess we all have experiences we'd rather not repeat. As for petrified wood, I have a favorite place west of Stony Plain, Alberta on the Pembina River. One piece we managed to get out was about 300 lbs.

Ahhh... a bragging contest...

Here's a picture of a petrified wood stump I found in Colorado, and it took THREE trips with my Tacoma to get it home. :D

post-16101-0-97000700-1416355611_thumb.jpg