The Peace 11/15/14

Cam28

Think I did good for a relatively picked-over spot. Just transitioned from 1/4" to 1/2" mesh and from wearing water shoes to muck boots & don't plan on switching back for either lol. Mostly good hemi's, one tiger & small barracuda, couple of bulls & lemons (one pathological? or might be a Carcharhinid sp.?) few interesting inverts/turtle shell, one interesting piece of duogong rib I think.

Find of the day had to be the jaw, I'm sensing it's fish (club leader suggested gar) but not fully sure.

post-14364-0-56977600-1416353887_thumb.jpg

post-14364-0-57349200-1416353904_thumb.jpg

post-14364-0-87457800-1416353921_thumb.jpg

The jaw is mammalian. Not a whole lot diagnostic there that I can draw from but I'm guessing it's Mephitis. Although a second possibility could be Procyon, the size just doesn't seem right for raccoon though.

Great haul Paul! Interesting jaw frag and thanks for sharing. :)

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Think I did good for a relatively picked-over spot. Just transitioned from 1/4" to 1/2" mesh and from wearing water shoes to muck boots & don't plan on switching back for either lol. Mostly good hemi's, one tiger & small barracuda, couple of bulls & lemons (one pathological? or might be a Carcharhinid sp.?) few interesting inverts/turtle shell, one interesting piece of duogong rib I think.

Find of the day had to be the jaw, I'm sensing it's fish (club leader suggested gar) but not fully sure.

Nice finds. Just curious on the choice of screens. I have both at the same time: a 1/4 inch insert into a 1/2 inch screen, but almost always use the insert. The big value of using the 1/2 inch screen is speed of processing more gravel. This pays off when I am finding larger fossils like Megs, horse teeth, or scutes at a pretty frequent rate. When I am mostly finding little teeth, I switch pretty exclusively to the 1/4 inch insert.

Some of the items that will fall thru a 1/2 inch screen are porpoise teeth and lower hemis.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice finds. Just curious on the choice of screens. I have both at the same time: a 1/4 inch insert into a 1/2 inch screen, but almost always use the insert. The big value of using the 1/2 inch screen is speed of processing more gravel. This pays off when I am finding larger fossils like Megs, horse teeth, or scutes at a pretty frequent rate. When I am mostly finding little teeth, I switch pretty exclusively to the 1/4 inch insert.

Some of the items that will fall thru a 1/2 inch screen are porpoise teeth and lower hemis.

Yeah you say it well, processes more gravel and faster. I could have my 1/4" inside of my 1/2" and small teeth can be keepers but overall the hunt for larger teeth & bone can be mind consuming.

The jaw is mammalian. Not a whole lot diagnostic there that I can draw from but I'm guessing it's Mephitis. Although a second possibility could be Procyon, the size just doesn't seem right for raccoon though.

Thanks, thought small mammal was a possibility.

& thanks everyone for your comments

Yep, nice finds indeed!

I love that jaw section.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

may the Peace be with you

One of the best vertebrate fossil collecting rivers in Florida. Easy access. Shallow most of the year. Great for screen-washing, snorkeling or diving. Native Americans called the Peace River "Talakchopcohatchee," which means "River of Peas." Somewhere along the way, white settlers changed it to Peace River.

When I am on the river alone, I frequently think that this is the river of peace. Sun is shining, the river rolls along, birds of all types are abundant, an occasional lizard, snake, or small gator crosses the river.

post-2220-0-37067800-1417017533_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-37361200-1417017622_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Archived