Florida Beach Finds For Identification

TyrannosaurusRex

I went to Florida about a week ago and got to to go find some great fossils including my first vertabrate fossils! I need to id them now for my display case. P.S the bottom fish tooth is already identified as a drum fish.

Measurements in inches.

post-13624-0-05011700-1416427772_thumb.jpg

post-13624-0-55727200-1416427802_thumb.jpg

Edited by TyrannosaurusRex

In your chunkosaur category, you have some shiny items that are likely to be teeth. Teeth are the most identifiable of chunks, so you might want to take separate photos of those to show multiple views.

When you shoot a black object, use a darker background. This will fool your camera into making a better exposure of the object. A small black object on a large white background will come out underexposed, and destroy the surface detail. A dark blue or black background is good.

Otherwise, nice haul for a days work. Did you use one of those screen scooper thingies or did you just walk the shoreline when the water was calm? I prefer walking the shoreline at dawn.

Is that object in your hand in the second set of images an incisor of a rodent like animal? Haven't seen that before.

• I found this Informative 1

In your chunkosaur category, you have some shiny items that are likely to be teeth. Teeth are the most identifiable of chunks, so you might want to take separate photos of those to show multiple views.

When you shoot a black object, use a darker background. This will fool your camera into making a better exposure of the object. A small black object on a large white background will come out underexposed, and destroy the surface detail. A dark blue or black background is good.

Otherwise, nice haul for a days work. Did you use one of those screen scooper thingies or did you just walk the shoreline when the water was calm? I prefer walking the shoreline at dawn.

Is that object in your hand in the second set of images an incisor of a rodent like animal? Haven't seen that before.

No I swam and walked the beach. The water was so cold that I am now sick. :| no it's not a rodent tooth it is as shark root.

Hooray for your first vertebrate fossils! Hopefully the first of many more to come?

Though i can't give you specific ID's beyond what you've already got, that's a nice set of fossils, well done :)

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Sorry to hear you got sick. You probably got hypothermia, and I've done that a dozen times.

I'm hoping some people who know bones better than I do will jump in here. Although I've collected at Venice several times, I never was too good at identifying the stuff. there are a lot of good vert people here, and hope they pipe in...

How lucky you were to get to go fossil hunting in Florida! It is something I hope to do some day.

You found some nice bits of bone, one of my favorite things to find. Unfortunately, they are frequently too fragmented to identify. I am not so good with shark teeth...still learning there, but I have found that they need to be in pretty good shape to get an ID. All too often shark teeth, like many of the ones you found, are too worn to even hazard a guess.

I selected a few of your photos that I thought I might be able to ID.

I think that the ones I circled are the worn crowns of the ray pavement teeth, like the ones you have labeled in another photo.

post-13648-0-47428600-1416524291_thumb.jpg

This one is a gastropod mold.

post-13648-0-66711200-1416524426_thumb.jpg

This nice shiny bit sure looks like tooth enamel, tho there is not enough present to be able to ID.

post-13648-0-15012500-1416524612_thumb.jpg

This last one looks like the central scute of a turtle. (There is a proper name for that, it evades me at the moment.) I really like bits of turtle.

post-13648-0-25108200-1416524736_thumb.jpg

Anyway, nice collection. :)

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

It would be helpful if you posted larger pictures instead of thumbnails - just can't see much.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

It would be helpful if you posted larger pictures instead of thumbnails - just can't see much.

I'm sorry but I don't know how. :(

I don't see bird. The bone looks more robust than all the bird bones I have worked with.

any other ideas?