mratteberry

Hi there! I found this bone last weekend in the Bone Valley Formation in Tampa Florida. It's a massive phosphate deposit that's mined by 'Mosaic'. Any fossils in the deposit won't go through the mining machinery, so the miners pull the chunks out and throw them in a separate bone area - which is just chock full of crazy fossils. These are primarily Miocene fossils (both terrestrial and marine)... but some Pleistocene fossils have been found before.

This fossil is the only one of my haul that I just can't identify. Even if we can't figure out what animal it belonged to - I'd be happy to know what kind of bone it is. If it helps - most of the bones I found were dugong.

The funky thing about this bone is the 'front' of it has a curve that suggests vertebrae... but the 'back' of the bone is curved in the opposite direction. As if the curves are perpendicular to one another. I think it may be a joint bone.

Sorry for all the text - I just want to throw everything I know about this weirdo out there.

post-16961-0-77458600-1416435444_thumb.jpg

#1 - What I think is the front of the bone. The bottom part near my thumb is exposed interior - so the bone must have snapped there. The top (towards my fingertips) is exterior bone.

post-16961-0-74979900-1416435445_thumb.jpg

#2 - The opposite side. All exterior except for the bottom part where it must have snapped.

post-16961-0-55573100-1416435447_thumb.jpg

#3 - Profile of the back of the bone.

post-16961-0-77651900-1416435448_thumb.jpg

#4 - Profile of the front of the bone.

post-16961-0-66308700-1416435450_thumb.jpg

#5 - Another front profile.

Partial dolphin vertabrae?

I thought so too, at first - but the curve on the back is an exterior curve - making it too thin to be a vertebrae.

If possible, larger images showing more detail would probably help someone give you a better ID.

Welcome to the forum btw.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

If possible, larger images showing more detail would probably help someone give you a better ID.

Welcome to the forum btw.

Thank you!

post-16961-0-38309500-1416439789_thumb.jpg

#1 - Front curve.

post-16961-0-98330600-1416439791_thumb.jpg

#2 - Back curve.

post-16961-0-04567400-1416439794_thumb.jpg

#3 - Front profile from right side.

post-16961-0-95682700-1416439795_thumb.jpg

#4 - Back profile from bottom.

post-16961-0-75312600-1416439797_thumb.jpg

#5 - View showing the opposing curves.

Possibly a somewhat worn cuneiform?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Possibly a somewhat worn cuneiform?

That seems probable! A cuneiform got me thinking about giant ground sloths... maybe it's an ankle bone from a sloth? Or even a mammoth? Thoughts?

Edited by mratteberry

Nice job with the new pictures.

You mentioned there are both Pleistocene and Miocene fossils at this site. Do they differ in appearance, colour, weight i.e any way of telling them apart that could tell you how old yours might be? Unless it is Pleistocene for example, mammoth would be off the list of possible critters it could belong to.

Edited by Paleoworld-101

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Nice job with the new pictures.

You mentioned there are both Pleistocene and Miocene fossils at this site. Do they differ in appearance, colour, weight i.e any way of telling them apart that could tell you how old yours might be? Unless it is Pleistocene for example, mammoth would be off the list of possible critters it could belong to.

Thanks again :)

The colors are somewhat all over the place with the fossils because the phosphate deposit colors are all over the place. For instance I found a bone-white dolphin vert with a pink interior, and a peer of mine found a nearly identical one in size and shape but his is dark grey. So I think the only age-indicator lies in what animal your fossil belonged to.

I found several mastodon teeth so I thought maybe mammoth. Either way - I'm almost positive it's an astragalus bone of something.

It isn't any astragalus with which I am familiar. Appears more to be a carpal/tarsal of something, but I'm not seeing anything I recognize.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

It isn't any astragalus with which I am familiar. Appears more to be a carpal/tarsal of something, but I'm not seeing anything I recognize.

Oh, darn. There's just so many similar-looking bones on google. I think if I had a definitive hand-sample to compare to, this would be so much easier!

• 2 weeks later...

We are going to have Dr.Richard C Hulbert who is the vertabrate paleontology collections manager for the florida museum of natural history at our lee county fossil clubs annual fossil show this sat the 6 of dec from 9-4 at the shell factory in North Fort Myers. bring your ID material to him and check out our show. I will be working the silent auction table if you come stop by and say hello. Joe L. Board member

Here is a 2 inch Sloth Medial Phalanx that has some similarities.

post-2220-0-94739700-1417749602_thumb.jpg

I think that your bone is somewhat similar but slightly larger in size.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

We are going to have Dr.Richard C Hulbert who is the vertabrate paleontology collections manager for the florida museum of natural history at our lee county fossil clubs annual fossil show this sat the 6 of dec from 9-4 at the shell factory in North Fort Myers. bring your ID material to him and check out our show. I will be working the silent auction table if you come stop by and say hello. Joe L. Board member

Hey Joe, the plan is to make it down to visit you guys--I've convinced the wife to come along as its just a weekend trip and not too many fossils are involved. I think I'm already in trouble. Regards, Chris

Hey mratteberry, my apologies for not welcoming you to the forum in my earlier post!

Mosaic does offer some huge potential but they are there for the phosphate and things can get a little chewed up while they are mining. We were out with the local club to one of their locations in Bowling Green about a month and a half ago.

post-1240-0-06571800-1417787406_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-54589200-1417787393_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-48297500-1417787391_thumb.jpg

A couple folks found some decent smallish teeth and a few vertebrate teeth pieces and some other odd stuff. My highlites were a couple small horse teeth. They arent really big so you have to look for the small stuff too.

post-1240-0-64617000-1417787495_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-85236600-1417787926_thumb.jpg

Good luck with any future finds! Lots of critters were roaming and swimming out there.

Regards, Chris